Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masked crossing pipe on profile?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
strahimir
2221 Views, 15 Replies

Masked crossing pipe on profile?

Anyone experiences problems with masked crossing pipe in the profile view? So basically I want to show a manhole with three pipes attached in the profile view and I use style override for pipes in a profile view to show crossing pipe, but crossing pipe gets masked with "Enable part masking" option in the Structure style. So I either can show crossing pipe and projected pipes drafted to center of the structure, or I can see only projected pipes drafted to the structure outer walls, but cannot see crossing pipe.

I would like to see projected (incoming) pipes drafted to the structure outer wall, and crossing pipes. Is that possible? See figure attached.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mwright
in reply to: strahimir

I was trying to get that same thing working last week and failed.

Matt
Adams and Clark
Message 3 of 16
acoursen

Your in luck if you have 2008, SOL without it. You'll need to make sure your display is set to visible for Profile Structure Pipe Outlines as attached. One caveat is that the outline will only show up if that pipe crosses the alignment used for the profile.

Andy
Andrew Coursen PE & LS
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

thanks. I was just looking for this option earlier today. I can verify
that it does work in 2008 SP2.

acoursen wrote:
> Your in luck if you have 2008, SOL without it. You'll need to make sure your display is set to visible for Profile Structure Pipe Outlines as attached. One caveat is that the outline will only show up if that pipe crosses the alignment used for the profile.
>
> Andy
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Message 5 of 16
strah

thanks Andy
Message 6 of 16
mwright

yeah thanks!!!
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

that's good news. as a work around i was using solid structure hatch with
mask enabling unchecked but then you have to deal with draw order
individually per crossing.

wrote in message news:5771949@discussion.autodesk.com...
Your in luck if you have 2008, SOL without it. You'll need to make sure
your display is set to visible for Profile Structure Pipe Outlines as
attached. One caveat is that the outline will only show up if that pipe
crosses the alignment used for the profile.

Andy
Message 8 of 16
jfalkowski

I have 2008 SP2 and have not had the same luck. Part Mask is enabled, Profile Structure Pipe Outline is set to Visible and the pipe still does not show up. The pipe also crosses the profile alignment. Any suggestions? Thanks.
IDSP '15 SP3 / '16 SP2
Dell Mobile Precision 7720 - Core i7-7820HQ / Win 10 / 32GB Ram / SSD / Quadro M1200

Message 9 of 16

i have tries the solution suggested: making sure the Profile Structure Pipe Outlines is visible. I have 2008 SP2 and nothing happened.

I have unchecked enable part masking to show my extra pipes (ovals) at the structure, but the projected pipes still extend to the centerline of the structure.

any ideas and thanks?
Message 10 of 16
hpro

I am running into a similar problem. I am using Civil 3d 2011. In the profile view I want my crossing pipes displayed  in the manhole and  I also want my single line pipes to terminate at the manhole walls.  Is this possible? 

My structure style is set as follows

Proflie Tab

Enable Part Masking

Display Tab

Structure pipe outlines  ON

Thank you for the advice

Message 11 of 16
lauraford5837
in reply to: hpro

still looking for an answer on this using C3D 2012. Anyone?

Message 12 of 16
charlesjury4386

It appears to me that enabling the "Structure Pipe Outlines" displays the vertical location that the pipe enters the structure and not the vertical location where the pipe crosses.

Also it appears the "Structure Pipe Outline" only displays if the "crossing pipe" is not drawn in the profile.  This is why you do not see an ellipse for the pipes that run parallel to the alignment.  

If the crossing pipe is NOT drawn in the Profile View and "parts masking" is enabled, you will see a cateye, however it will be at the vertical location that the crossing pipe enters the structure and NOT at the actual vertical location at the point of crossing.  Drawn like this, it will mask the parallel pipes but if you measure vertical clearances, it will not represent the crossing correctly.

If you "draw in profile view" the crossing pipe, and override the style to show the cateye, it appears the profile view interprets it as the 3D pipe is being drawn.  Therefore, even if "Structure Pipe Outlines" is enabled, it will not display the cateye at the structure location.  

I think the problem is that "parts masking" will mask any part of the 3D pipe that is within the limits of the structure outline, and since the crossing pipes are typically perpendicular, the entire 3D pipe is within those limits and therefore not visible due to the masking.

Only decent work around I could find is having the crossing pipes on a different Network.  The masking trims the parallel pipes and the cateye still shows.

The problem is, since the pipes are no longer on the same network, the crossing pipe cannot "connect" to the structure and if you are using dynamic labels, then it will not show all the pipe inverts.  It does work well if you are displaying existing networks because we do not post the elevations like we would for a new network.

Where does someone post for "WISHLIST" items?  

Message 13 of 16
ralstogj
in reply to: lauraford5837

You could try a label mask as I use to mask the structure where the pipe goes thru the structure wall see page 5 of my paper from AUNZ 2009 that you can download here.

https://sites.google.com/site/c3dxtreme/home/PipesBeyondtheBoxLatest.doc?attredirects=0&d=1

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 14 of 16
mthorne
in reply to: charlesjury4386

Thanks for the tip charlesjury4386. 

I was able to have my pipes all on the same network, but I have unselected the option to drawn them in the Profile View Properties/Pipe Networks tab after adding all of my network to the profile view.  This enables the use of dynamic labels with all of the pipe inverts being labeled.  I'm using Civil 3D 2012 edition.

Message 15 of 16
castled071049
in reply to: hpro

Further musings on the problem: If displaying the connected pipes in profile view is enabled in the structure style, and they are not showing up, possibilities include:

1. The pipes aren't connected to the structure. Make sure the pipes are connected in the Structure Properties dialog box.

2. You have drawn in profile view the connected pipes and overriden them to show as ellipses. This will block out the effort of the structure to show the crossing pipes in the structure style. Remove the connected pipes from the profile view if this is the case. 

3. Note that the structure and the pipes have to be in the same network to be connected and, therefore, to have any chance of showing up in the profile view. 

Message 16 of 16

Sorry for the necro but this lil' bit helped dramatically.

"Also it appears the "Structure Pipe Outline" only displays if the "crossing pipe" is not drawn in the profile. This is why you do not see an ellipse for the pipes that run parallel to the alignment."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report