Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapimport Header

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
ksorsby
352 Views, 14 Replies

Mapimport Header

Morning,

I am trying to bring in some xyz text files using the mapimport command. The text files have a single line text header for 'easting, northing, elevation' or 'X,Y,Z' and there doesn't seem to be an option to 'ignore header' when I try to import the files, so it doesn't preview or import the files at all.

Any ideas how to import the points whilst ignoring the header?

The reason for this is that I am using the same point files that Mapinfo and TUFLOW uses and they need a header (as most GIS packages do) so I don't want to edit all the headers out and then edit it back in afterwards.

I appreciate this might be the wrong forum but C3D users are better than Map only users. 😉

Kevin

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rl_jackson
in reply to: ksorsby

create a copy of the file and remove the header, also you and put an exclamation (check format) in front and I believe it will ignore it. Either way you'll probably need a separate file.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hmmm. That's basically what I was trying to avoid, having a separate file identical in every way but without the header.
I'll try the exclamation mark thing though but don't know how Mapinfo will like it.
Autodesk really need to get the GIS capabilities up to scratch IMO.

Thanks anyway,

Kevin
Message 4 of 15
antoniovinci
Message 5 of 15
Murph_Map

@ksorsby wrote:

Morning,

but C3D users are better than Map only users. 😉

Kevin

Says who? You know there's more than one way to bring in points from a txt file? Do you also know that Civil3D used have their own command to bring in points and harldy use the mapimport for it?

🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: Murph_Map

Antonio,

Thanks for this. Don't know how I missed this in my search, so apologies for that. I'll give this a go when I'm next on the job later today.

Murph, 

Experience. 😉 .  I know you can import as cogo points but that's not that useful here as you can't add cogo points to a surface (why, I dont know!). So you have to faff about exploding which ones you need to vanilla cad points. Similarly, you can define a surface from a point file but I need the points at this stage, not a surface.

I tend to used mapimort because I use a lot of shapefiles, tabs, mid/mifs etc. but yes, it's probably not the best tool for straight point importing.

Cheers all,

Kevin

Message 7 of 15
Murph_Map

ksorsby wrote:

Murph, 

Experience. 😉 .  I know you can import as cogo points but that's not that useful here as you can't add cogo points to a surface (why, I dont know!). So you have to faff about exploding which ones you need to vanilla cad points. Similarly, you can define a surface from a point file but I need the points at this stage, not a surface.

I tend to used mapimort because I use a lot of shapefiles, tabs, mid/mifs etc. but yes, it's probably not the best tool for straight point importing.

What ever works for your needs is what I say. A lot of the map3d power users hang out over too.  🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 15
troma

@ksorsby wrote:

...you can't add cogo points to a surface ...

Kevin

Says who?  What type of surface are we talking about here?  I've built a C3D TIN surface from cogo points many many times.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: troma

Me. A regular Civil 3D TIN surface.

Really? How? I certainly can't add them via Toospace/Surface/Definition/Points. Is there a ribbon command I'm missing?

Kevin

Message 10 of 15
mathewkol

Points are added to surfaces by point group. Make a point group, add your points to it, add the point group to the surface.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 11 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt - but that wasn't my original point. Plus Troma suggested that you can add Cogo points to a surface which AFAIK you can't.

My original query was bringing points in via mapimport and ignoring the header. I can easily bring in points as point files in a surface but that isn't what I need. I can also bring them in as Cogo points, but Cogo points aren't much use to me on this type of project.

Thanks though.

Kevin
Message 12 of 15
mathewkol

Sorry for wasting your time answering your thoughts about adding cogo points to a surface, which you can, just not individually.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 13 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: mathewkol

Please don't be sensitive, it's really not worth it.
I suspect we're all talking crossed wires now in this thread so I'd be happy if someone locks or deletes it.

Cheers,

Kevin
Message 14 of 15
troma

Sorry I'm late to reply to this, and sorry the conversation has gone sideways for you. Matt made my point for me, so there's no need for me to elaborate.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 15
ksorsby
in reply to: troma

It's really no big. I think I have what I need to know now anyway so I can figure a workaround.

Cheers all,

Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report