Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapconnect Link to GeoTiff

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
799 Views, 3 Replies

Mapconnect Link to GeoTiff

I am using the mapconnect command to import a geotiff file to NAD83 coordinates.  After import, the image displays correctly at the correct location, however my xref manager indicates that the image file location is in my local app folder within the C drive on my computer even though I specified the target base file on our network server.   I also noticed the mapconnect function converts the files to a png file.  

Because the image link resides on my computer others cannot view the image when they open the drawing.  I don't fully understand how the mapconnect function works, do I need to use the mapiinsert command if I want the image to be hard linked into the drawing?

Thanks in advance for your Help!

Alex E. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: Anonymous

aedwards83 wrote:
do I need to use the mapiinsert command if I want the image to be hard linked into the drawing?

Exactly, sir, but don't forget that image won't be embedded (like OLE does, for instance).

Drawback: the _MAPIINSERT command does not transform the image Coordinate Reference System on the fly, so you'd better convert it to the destination CRS in advance (e.g. thru Mapwindow_Gis).

Message 3 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: Anonymous

If the image you connect to is on your hard drive and not a network shared folder then other users will need rights to acess your hard drive. Are the other users also using Civil3D or Map3D? When you export a mapconnected project to AutoCAD DWG format it does create a .png file and places in the folder with the dwg or in your support folders.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks.  Others in our office do have access to Map and Civil so I will probably try both options (mapconnect project export and mapiinsert with proper coordinate settings) and see what works best.  Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report