Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapCheck Analysis - Legal Description Closure

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
_Hathaway
6919 Views, 44 Replies

MapCheck Analysis - Legal Description Closure

Civil3d 2012

We are looking at the best practice for checking closures on over 100 legal description, each requires a closure report.  I am familiar with the Mapcheck routine that requires all lines and curves to be labeled but find this to be an excessive amount of work.  I mean why would we want to label the lines when there is no need to...besides the software need to have it.  In LDD we cogo up a legal description, make it a pline and go through the analsis/figure menu and voila' a mapcheck report is created.  In civil3d we seem to be forced to label the lines first and then you have to manually pick each of them.  This is excessive and overly cumbersome.

We have even tried toggling the command line window in the map check analysis and hand entering the bearing and distance for each side.  While this works the brg and distance input is different i.e. you have to type N45-45-23 W then mouse down to the distance input and enter the distance.  We quickly canned that method due to the data entry procedure.

Parcels won't work because nothing ever created based on a metes and bounds legal, with the excpetion of a square or rectangle, will close flat.

There has to be a better way!

44 REPLIES 44
Message 41 of 45

It would also be nice,

1. If you could hold more than one point using the pline method.

2. If the Cogo Editor would peform a least squares analysis.

3. If the Save button worked when creating a traverse in the Survey Database. A suppport case was made with this an the issue was reproduced by support. CaseNo:09966924

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 42 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: _Hathaway

Hey Mike!

I read your post from 2012. I too need to generate closure reports for legal descriptions. I also remember the awesome Mapcheck routine from LDD! Did AutoDesk ever solve your problem on this? I tried loading a traverse from a polyline into the COGOeditor and then generating a report. I get a totally bogus closure report! I purposely made my polyline not close by approximately 0.5 feet, but the report said that it closed by .0009 feet and the closing bearing wasn't even close! Maybe I have a setting wrong or I have no idea how to use the COGOeditor! Sure wish they would bring back the routine from LDD!

Thanks!

Message 43 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter,

I have tried using the COGOEditor in Civil 3D 2015 to do exactly as you suggested in your post. I loaded a traverse from a polyline and then ran the analysis button as you suggested. However, the report that I got back did not calculate the closure properly. I even purposely changed the ending point to make force a bad closure. It still did not show a correct closure. The report showed the correct coordinates for the beginning point and the ending point, but it didnot calculate the correct closure. Am I doing something wrong? I have attached a copy of my report for your use.

Thanks

Message 44 of 45
TerryDotson
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you post a drawing with your source polyline (for the curious out here) ?

Message 45 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: TerryDotson

Actually, I did not save my changes. However, I recreated one very similar to the one I mentioned in my post. I get basically the same results as before. I have attached the drawing file, the traverse file and the traverse report (for the curious).

Thanks

The forum would not let me send the "Test Traverse.trvx", so I changed the extension to ".txt". Let's see if this works....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report