Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapCheck Analysis - Legal Description Closure

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
_Hathaway
6834 Views, 44 Replies

MapCheck Analysis - Legal Description Closure

Civil3d 2012

We are looking at the best practice for checking closures on over 100 legal description, each requires a closure report.  I am familiar with the Mapcheck routine that requires all lines and curves to be labeled but find this to be an excessive amount of work.  I mean why would we want to label the lines when there is no need to...besides the software need to have it.  In LDD we cogo up a legal description, make it a pline and go through the analsis/figure menu and voila' a mapcheck report is created.  In civil3d we seem to be forced to label the lines first and then you have to manually pick each of them.  This is excessive and overly cumbersome.

We have even tried toggling the command line window in the map check analysis and hand entering the bearing and distance for each side.  While this works the brg and distance input is different i.e. you have to type N45-45-23 W then mouse down to the distance input and enter the distance.  We quickly canned that method due to the data entry procedure.

Parcels won't work because nothing ever created based on a metes and bounds legal, with the excpetion of a square or rectangle, will close flat.

There has to be a better way!

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
Jeff_M
in reply to: _Hathaway

This is precisely why we added SPPARCELINVERSE to the SincpacC3D.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 45
_Hathaway
in reply to: Jeff_M

Well....once we can fit your software into our budget we'll definitely be picking it up.  Until then....

Message 4 of 45
JeffPaulsen

If they are defined as parcels you can use the Parcel Map Check Report.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 5 of 45
_Hathaway
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

Thanks Jeff, but parcels must close. (Unless you know some way around that)  All legal descriptions have a mis-closure, therefore parcels will not work.

Message 6 of 45
JeffPaulsen

Yeah your right; that will not work for legal descriptions.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 7 of 45

If the lots are defined as polylines, have you tried the COGOEditor in Civil 3D? One of the features is to load a traverse from a polyline. If you define the POB and POC at the start of the polyline and run the analysis button you should get your closeure report. If you want to balance the polyline you can do that as well.

It is also a nice tool for adding the lots from the legals.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 45

Yes, Peter we have tried that.  On my CPU it works ok but on the other CPU in the office the error of closure is always infinite and 0.0000 even if the error is 0.02 or 0.0049.  Must be a setting somewhere for that? Any ideas?

Message 9 of 45
bcsurvey

I'm casting my line into a different post, hoping for a bite.  I apologize for the redundancy.

Was this problem ever resolved?  I too am searching for the best way to generate closure reports and/or traverse adjustments.  So far, I've found that the adjustment through mapcheck (right click on mapcheck item in input view, choose adjust) gives the best adjustment (i.e. it actually shows all necessary data).  I can't get the cogo editor adjustment report to show any x, y, or z deltas as anything but 0.0000, but I'd like the report output style it displays - it's easy for those unfamiliar with adjustment data to understand.   So specifically:

1) Has anyone come across (or perhaps designed) a C3D-style report for a mapcheck output (not parcel mapcheck) so that I don't have to paste into Word and customize text size and font?

2) What's the trick for showing adjustment data through  the cogo editor?

Thanks!

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 10 of 45

Save and post a traverse from the COGO editor and we'll take a look at it.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 45

HI Peter, thanks for the replies.  I think I have a grasp on the cogo editor functions now.  I was confused as to why there could only be a non-zero closure value when the pob was chosen to coincide with the point of closure, but I remembered that the traverse is based on the polyline (at least in this case).  So that's where the actual closure error data existed. 

As for the output reports, the cogo editor's is pretty, but doesn't contain the depth that the mapcheck's does (.lso, lsi, .trv).  But the mapcheck report data is simple text data, not the nice C3D report that you can get for just about everything else in C3D, including that for the cogo editor.

I think I"m good now.  If I have further issues, I'll get back to this thread.

Thank you!

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 12 of 45
Jody007
in reply to: bcsurvey

Mapcheck has been a simple method of checking closure and calculating areas since AutoCad bought out Soft Desk more than a decade ago. I'm sure the code is lying around AutoDesk and adding it the 2013 is doable.

Please bring it back!!!!

Message 13 of 45
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: Jody007

Mapcheck is in Civil 3D. You can do a parcel report that will include a mapcheck, there is a command that will mapcheck based on selected labels, there is a mapcheck report in the COGO Editor, there is mapcheck in the survey database. The Civil 3D 2014 help file list 67 topics related to mapcheck.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 45
Jorge
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter, when you are checking a sketch of a legal description that has over 100 calls including curves it is very cumbersome to click on the text for every leg of the traverse. In the past you created a polyline and simply clicked on it once and there was your report. Why was that discontinued? It seems like surveyors are not your priority. I work for a State Government agency that has many licenses of your product but that may change as we heavily rely on the old Mapcheck command to do our QA/QC of legals that we write and those submitted to us by private surveyors. I have searched the help file regarding the Mapcheck command and everything leads back to this new way of doing it. The Cogoeditor does not give you an accurate closure as someone else reported here before. If it's operator error on my part I apologize but please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks, Jorge

Message 15 of 45
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jorge

Jorge, you may be interested in THIS, which was written as a direct request from users with the same concerns as you've raised.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 45
IanMcClain

Make parcel; thence Toolbox > Reports Manager > Parcel Map Check Report. From the end of your last course to the begining of your description is your closure. Done.

Ian McClain
Message 17 of 45
_Hathaway
in reply to: IanMcClain

I think you are missing the point. You cannot create a parcel that does not close. When cogo-ing up existing deeds and plats they will NEVER close unless its a perfect square or rectangle.

Jorge, we feel your pain.
Message 18 of 45
IanMcClain

Draw a line from your last course to the POB to create a parcel so you can use reports. This last segment is your (mis)closure.

Ian McClain
Message 19 of 45
_Hathaway
in reply to: IanMcClain

Actually its not. In the surveying world we are required to meet certain accuracy requirements such as 1:50000, 1:2000. Etc.... While your method will provide you with the overall brg and dist misclosure it will not supply us with the necessary accuracy data.
Message 20 of 45
IanMcClain

Understood. Take the misclosure length and divide by the overall perimeter length.

Clearly the options in C3D are not tailored to us surveyors. I wish they would bring back the wishlist.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report