Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map clean Workflow

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
DaveM
5397 Views, 27 Replies

Map clean Workflow

All,

I am trying to come up with a good order to run the map clean operations. This is a new command for me. Does anyone have any suggestions to the order to run them, or things to watch out for?

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
jmayo-EE
in reply to: DaveM

If you want the parcels to reflect the exact area the linework should be based on the meets and bounds of the survey and mapclean should not be used since it changes the linework. If this is for a map that is not reporting the parcel area or exact location then mapclean is fine although I might prefer that the cleanup wasn't required after digitizing.

Another tip. The fillet command with a radius of zero will fix under and overshoots. Now I wouldn't want to do this on a few hundred parcels but a handful or two would be quick.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 22 of 28
DaveM
in reply to: jmayo-EE

When you say digitize are you refering to having a paper copy of a plot and manually entering the bearings and distances/ curves. While reading some of these help files I feel there is more.

I could you a Vocab lesson as to what autocads definition is for:

Digitize:

Topology:

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 23 of 28
jmayo-EE

Manually entering bearing and distance is calculating the lot. You should get the exact linework from the survey this way and this is where would would not be using mapclean. Digitizing is tracing over the paper copy w/o regard to the bearing/distance. If they were tracing, OSnaps should be used to prevent the need for cleaning.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 24 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: jmayo-EE

As Allen mentioned eariler, in his workflow he has to compile parcels from multiple sources into a contiguous parcel fabric. In that scenario you'll rarely find that the individual pieces fit together seamlessly.

In survey grade work you'll have to establish some criteria for resolving those discrepencies but in GIS you usually aren't constrained to survey tolerances and can get by with the Map Cleanup tool.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 25 of 28
noeortiz8009

easiest approach is right click convert to polyline

@dmartin wrote:

All,

I am trying to come up with a good order to run the map clean operations. This is a new command for me. Does anyone have any suggestions to the order to run them, or things to watch out for?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 26 of 28
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil
do you do them independently or stack them in the mapclean dialog box?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 27 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Generally I get by with stacking them in a single run but there are occasions where you might want to run them in multiple steps.I can't recall a specific example off hand.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 28 of 28
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

I stack too. I ask because a guy at AU claimed the need for separate runs

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report