Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map clean Workflow

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
DaveM
5393 Views, 27 Replies

Map clean Workflow

All,

I am trying to come up with a good order to run the map clean operations. This is a new command for me. Does anyone have any suggestions to the order to run them, or things to watch out for?

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
AllenJessup
in reply to: DaveM

This can differ with different types of data or just between drawing to drawing. I'd suggest reading the help and evaluating each operation in terms of what you want Mapclean to accomplish. Only use those operations that are appropriate to what you're doing.

What kind of data are you cleaning and what do you want as a result?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 28
DaveM
in reply to: AllenJessup

On Thursday I am hosting a Lunch & Learn for my company to discuss parcels. I am hoping to introduce everyone to the map clean command. I have drawn a small piece of a sub division using a paper copy. I am going to show them how converting it to parcel segments before mapclean works, and after mapclean works. I learned about mapclean on the forums and really don't use parcels often, so I am trying to freshen up on the subject before Thursday.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 4 of 28
jmayo-EE

For closed areas I seldom use mapclean anymore unless things are really messed up in the underlying geometry. What I do now is use PE to force close the pline if it is not and I just run boundary to get a nice new clean pline.

In any event, similar to Allen, when I need mapclean the options I use are determined by what I am cleaning. Options set will also be determined by the objects I want returned (line/curves, plines or 33 plines). Now if this were for legal parcels I would want to work with lines/curves and I might set, delete dups, zero len, extend undershoot, snap cluster or apparent int perhaps earase dangles...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 28
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

also save different configs for different objects. One for parcels, one for contours, one for 3d polys, etc...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 28
DaveM

Thanks for the Insight. I have been Playing with it for about an hour now. The only thing I am not sure of is, What is a snap cluster? I have already read the helps definition, but am having trouble imagining it.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 7 of 28
AllenJessup

Snap Cluster Nodes will bring together the end points of multiple lines that end "near" each other. Near being defined by the tolerance set.

Personally, coming from a Surveying background, using Mapclean on parcels sounds a little scary. With messy data from a 3rd party it may be a start.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 28
Murph_Map

As others said, it depends on what you have to work with and whaat you want as the end results. One tip I'll give to passs on in the Lunch & Learn is brfore using it do a save of the dwg, back it up if needed. Mapcleanup can destroy a dwg real quick.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 28
Neilw_05

I'll present a scenario that might help get a feel for how to use the tool for parcels.

Suppose you have parcels drawn as polygons and you want to convert them to C3D parcels. Among the problems you'll need to adress are:

1) The polygons will have duplicate lines where they share sides. You'll need to get rid of those so there is only one line between parcels.

2) You'll want to be sure the polygons are closed, so you'll need to ensure there are no gaps (undershoots) in the linework.

3) You'll need to check for and resolve slivers, which occur when the linework for adjacent parcel edges are not exactly coincident.

4) You'll need to find and eliminate overshoots, which occur when lines cross each other rather than meet at a common point.

I'm out of time but perhaps someone else can present the order of options to clean up the linework for this scenario.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Following up on my scenario, the workflow and order of operations is as follows:

1) Explode all the polygons (Map cleanup will miss problems if the linework is polylines)

2) Extend undershoots (This option will eliminate gaps and ensure that all lines intersect)

3) Break Crossing Objects (breaking the lines where they cross causes overlapping lines to have the same length which allows the Delete Duplicates option to detect them).

3) Erase Dangling Objects (gets rid of little pieces of overshoots left behind from step 3)

4) Erase short objects (This removes the ends of narrow slivers that may exist)

4) Snap clustered Nodes* (This step moves the ends of the slivers to be coincident with adjacent lines).

5) Delete duplicates (now that we've closed the gaps, broken all the lines where they cross, removed all the straggling pieces and lined up the slivers, we can find all the overlaps and remove them)

*This option will cause some lines to shift to new end points. Review the subheading "Objects to Anchor" in the "Select Objects" of the Cleanup help topic to control which lines may be moved and which cannot.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 28
Neilw_05

I should add one more operation after #5: Simplify objects. This option will remove any unnecessary vertices along straight segements that result from the previous operations.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 28
DaveM

Neil,

Thank you for the detailed answer. I have gathered from this thread that map clean can be useful, but you have to be careful where you apply it. Until I posted this thread I was under the impression that map clean was specifically designed to prepare line work for parcels, but now I see it has many more purposes.

I really appreciate everyone help in leading me to a better understanding of the map clean command!

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 13 of 28
antoniovinci

Dave, don't forget the true goal of _MAPCLEAN should be a correct topology (command _MAPTOPOCREATE).

Without it, your parcels will be "almost" right, but not completely...

Message 14 of 28
AllenJessup

I hope that we're all talking about "Parcels" in the GIS form of the word and not the "Survey" form of the word. In my work any parcels drawn for use in a Survey are calculated not drawn. They may be calculated using Civil 3D but they are still the result of calculations.

I'll use the example of "Snap Cluster Nodes. That command will most likely change the bearing and distance on every line involved. So you may end up with closed parcels but not be matching outbound or right-of-way bearings. If the changes are large enough you may change lot area.

I hope I'm giving information that most people really don't need. I just get nervous when I see something like Mapclean being used on things like parcels (in the surveying sense)

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 28
Neilw_05

You are quite right to emphasize the danger of snap clustered nodes Allen. Users will need to be very judicious about using it on survey grade linework, if at all.

I agree with Antonio's comments about topology. Before generating C3D parcels from the linework it is best to first create a topology. In the process of creating a topology Map finds invalid linework and errors which you may not find with the Map cleanup tool.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 16 of 28
jmayo-EE

Legal parcel lines are never edited. I was never under the impression from the OP that this was for a described parcel.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 28
AllenJessup

Neilw wrote:

I agree with Antonio's comments about topology. Before generating C3D parcels from the linework it is best to first create a topology. In the process of creating a topology Map finds invalid linework and errors which you may not find with the Map cleanup tool.

Now that sounds useful. I'll have to give that a try next time I do parcels. The parcels I create are not subdivision parcels. Working for a Highway Department I do acquisition parcels along the length of a road. So I have a little different experience than those doing subdivision work.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 28
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

Legal parcel lines are never edited. I was never under the impression from the OP that this was for a described parcel.

I just wasn't sure. Also, others read these thread long after the OP has the answer. So I'll admit to being over cautious.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 19 of 28
DaveM

I am grateful that the dangers of map clean have been expressed here. I will certainly pass it on in the class shown. In the example I intend to show I retraced a subdivision plat. My only intention was to use map clean to extend the undershoots and trim the over shoots while holding the POB solid.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 20 of 28
jmayo-EE

No worries here. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report