Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manipulate block attributes (blocks created from cogo points).

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Fantoon
1148 Views, 11 Replies

Manipulate block attributes (blocks created from cogo points).

Hello,

Is there a way to change the default attributes "POINT, ELEV, DESC" to a different setup/style? (E.G., the point label style from the point which the block originated from?).

Sincerely

AutoCad 2019 & Civil3D 2019.
Lenovo P52
Intel i7 8850H @ 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P2000
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Fantoon

Do you want to get different blocks with attributes converted to c3d points?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
AllenJessup

There's no way to do it automatically. You can create a block with attributes and use that instead of the default "point" block. Or you can use a copy of the "point" block and edit it afterwards.

Whether there will be limitations will depend on what style you're trying to match.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Fantoon
in reply to: AllenJessup

Oh, well if I make a new block and use it as an existing block it has to have "at least three attribute definitions with the exact names ELEV, POINT, and DESC".

Can I add another attribute definition to that block that matches the "Raw Description" in the point label style? Will I get the correct information automatically? 

Sincerely

Lenovo P52
Intel i7 8850H @ 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Message 5 of 12
AllenJessup

I've never tried this. So I don't have the answer to your question. I just knew there was an option to use a custom block. You would have to include all 3 attributes. But if you don't want to any of them to show. You could make that attribute invisible.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
KirkNoonan

Are you using a block with attributes in your point style? If you need an atributed block that represents a point (for data sharing?) you could adjust your point style to look the way you want and then explode the points to get a block that displays the information you want. They wont be attributes, but with some creative use of the data extraction tools, excel and the import attributes command, you could get from exploded text back to a modified LDD-style point block.

Message 7 of 12
Fantoon
in reply to: KirkNoonan

" but with some creative use of the data extraction tools, excel and the import attributes command, you could get from exploded text back to a modified LDD-style point block."

I have hundreds of points. Can I do extraction and import procedue for all points at the same time?

Lenovo P52
Intel i7 8850H @ 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Message 8 of 12
KirkNoonan

Yes, but before we go down that road, what are you starting with, a .csv file, an older drawing,...? Secondly, what, exactly do you want to achieve?

Message 9 of 12
Fantoon

I'm starting with A list, The list is made up of information (name coordinates, desc).

I import the list. The blocks created when using "Create blocks from cogo points" are fine but I'm not content with POINT, ELEVATION, DESC. "POINT" is just a number (sequence) and is totally irrelevant to me. I want to change that. That's my probem and what I want to change/achieve.

Sincerely

Lenovo P52
Intel i7 8850H @ 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Message 10 of 12
KirkNoonan

You should be able to create your blocks from your points, edit the point block with the block editor and add the attribute you want (Name?). Using the Express -> Blocks -> Export Attributes, create a text file of all of the block attributes. Open the text file with Excel. You will see the empty column with your new field listed there. Use Excel to fill that field with whatever information you want, save the file and use the Express -> Blocks -> Import Attrubutes to bring them all back into the drawing. One question, though. Wouldn't it be easier to just create a label style that shows what you want?

Message 11 of 12
Fantoon

I will try your solution and will respond again if it works as intended. My client wants to manage this file himself and don't want to bother with Civil 3D.

Lenovo P52
Intel i7 8850H @ 2.6GHz
32 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Message 12 of 12
dhenderhan

I am trying to accomplish the same thing.  When you exploe the point block, it won't come up in the block editor list to edit?  It gives it a name like *U71, but I can't figure out a way to edit it.

Thanks,

David E. Henderhan, PLS
Civil 3D 2023
Dell Precision 3660 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel (R) RTX A2000
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz
128 GB ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report