Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management of information-rich data.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rpichardo
449 Views, 11 Replies

Management of information-rich data.

I am trying to use a file of data that have 1.8 million of points, and is rally dificult with Autocad Civil 3D, the fiel open with the Autocad, but when I try to erase some of that points, the software is frized.

for example:

the picture attached contains a lot of points with one blue line, the points on the blue line are the points thar I am interesting, and the other points are the points that I want to erase.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sboon
in reply to: rpichardo

This looks like a Lidar data file.  What are you trying to do with it?

Civil3d has tools for working with point data without importing it into the drawing, and tools for filtering these large point files so that data outside of your boundary is completely ignored.

We need more information about which version of the software you're using, and what you want to use the data for.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 12
joshlorge

Have you tryed using a point cloud?

In the pospector you can right click on "point cloud" and import many different types of data.

Message 4 of 12
rpichardo

I'm trying to filter and send to some one the filtered points.

Message 5 of 12
KirkNoonan

What form is your point list in? I would determine your X-Y limits and use Excel to find the points you want to keep.

Message 6 of 12
rpichardo
in reply to: KirkNoonan

the problem is that Excel don't manage that info because is very large. I try with point clouds, but the point clouds can't be modified, erase some of them or cut.

Message 7 of 12
mathewkol

Steve's is the best answer IMO. Start a new drawing, make the surface, define a data clip boundary, use Point File to add the data to the surface (DO NOT insert points into the drawing). Only the points within that boundary will be part of the surface.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 12
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

The OP wants to send the resulting point set to another user - that's going to be the problem.

Two possible solutions, after the surface is built from the limited data set:

• You can create a point style which displays only TIN points as ACad point objects, then extract them from the surface.  You now have a drawing file with a whole bunch of points that can be sent to the other user.
  • Use the Surface Points to csv tool in the Reports manager to extract the data.  Warning - this will be very slow and might create a file that is too large for Excel to open anyway.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 12
rpichardo
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi,

I like this option, I did that, but now can I export or extract the points that form the surface? that is because I am interested.

Message 10 of 12
antoniovinci

Sorry for the late, gentlemen.

To clip a point cloud by boundary, you don't need Autocad at all: use the free, terrific Lastools by M.Isenburg.

It's my pleasure to wish to the forum staff, the users and their families my best Merry Xmas - Buon Natale !!

Message 11 of 12
sboon
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

The OP wants to send the resulting point set to another user - that's going to be the problem.

Two possible solutions, after the surface is built from the limited data set:

• You can create a point style which displays only TIN points as ACad point objects, then extract them from the surface.  You now have a drawing file with a whole bunch of points that can be sent to the other user.
  • Use the Surface Points to csv tool in the Reports manager to extract the data.  Warning - this will be very slow and might create a file that is too large for Excel to open anyway.

Correction - You can create a surface style which displays only TIN points

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 12
rpichardo
in reply to: sboon

Thanks to all of you,

whith all your opinions I found one solution:

I opened all the points, I used the "Reports Manager" on the Toolbox, and exported the point with "Points_in_CSV, that option allow me to select the point that I wanted.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report