Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making my DST file a default

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
wizengr
1156 Views, 19 Replies

Making my DST file a default

I created my custom Sheet Set with my desired Sheet Set properties. I named it "wizengr.dst". Who knows how I can make this DST file the default so that the "Creat Sheet" wizard and "Create Section Sheet" dialog box will automatically use it to create a sheet set during sheet creation process.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
DaveM
in reply to: wizengr

I created a folder on the server and saved my example there so everyone has access. Then i create the sheet set before i run create sheets and select from example. Then when i create the sheets i select choose existing sheet set.

I am not sure how you could choose your settings during the create sheets process.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 20
troma

I've been wondering the same thing recently.  Do you find this helpful:

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html

I could do with a little more detail, but it gives me a clue, along with Dave's comment.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 20
wizengr
in reply to: DaveM

Thank you, Dave. That's the solution. I checked the "New sheet set" bubble instead of the "Add to existing sheet set" bubble. I was thinking the program would grab my custom sheet set template just as it does with my QNEW command for new DWG. I should have known better.

Message 5 of 20
Joe-Bouza

here, no?

defaultSS.PNG

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,
Is this setting for the example sheet set, to create a new sheet set (.dst file)?

Or is it for a template drawing file, to be used by the sheet set for creating new sheets (.dwt file)?

Mark Green

Message 7 of 20
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: troma

Yes. But lets clarify the Sheet Set Template File Location is the folder that can contain any number of dwt files for different sets.

two lines down in options Sets a specific dwt file for a specific type of set, 34x22 or 30x42 etc

these dwt would conatin the various elements you want to carry over to a dst file. there is no "dst" prototype they are made on the fly.

What I have done is create seed project foloder with predefined dst file in them - just copy, rename and go

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 20
troma

I've never used a sheet set to create a sheet. Wouldn't know how, wouldn't know why to do so.
As for using an example sheet set to create a new one, I think that's a great idea. I only realised this was possible recently, last time I was creating a sheet set from scratch as always had done. Next time I'm just gonna copy that one and repoint the sheets, what do you think?

Mark Green

Message 9 of 20
Joe-Bouza

"Wouldn't know how, wouldn't know why" I don't use it feo new sheets either. The why: because SSM is pa powerful project navigation tool and if you are inclined to explore the saved view powers for calling out details with ref #'s - its great foe keeping track of all thos refs.

the repointing can be eliminated by using a seed project and relative paths (thats what I do) and if I have to add sheets I copy one and add by layout

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
troma

Ah, yes! I figured out the callouts a few months ago, that was fun! Got views & callouts set up for a couple of projects now.

Tell me more about relative paths. I presume you have the .dst sitting in the same folder as the .dwg's. But do you have to follow a naming formula for your drawings for this to work? We generally include the project number in the drawing name, so obviously it's different for each project.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 20
Joe-Bouza

I'm going to make a confession here: I have gotten very slopy with my project drawing naming (yikes) but anyway -  renaming the sheet files is not an issue as far as job number goes but the data files are a bigger pain is the A$$. If you had to do that you woud have to repath all the sheet layouts for expect path vs found path

I named all my data files with generic names and leave them like that - which if the $H!T hit the fan I might have a problem but its worked for nearly 15 years without any hicups.

This is what my seed folder looks like: Design refs Xref as relative path, so when I copy and rename the root the relative path holds relative to the design folder and everyone stays together. Very useful for archiving too; etransmit to the ARCHIVE folder and done. If I had to give the data files projectnumber names I would do the same, but with a trick: xref manage can use any name for an xref, so I would maintain the generic name in the xref manager for the sheets, rename tha data files use the reference managers to repath - it would take all of 2 minutes longer to set up a jopb folder

Seed.png

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 12 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Go to the autodesk blogs and look up Heidi Hewett and get her white paper sheets happen - It is the sheet set manager bible

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
troma

Thanks Joe. Will do when I can. The problem with a Bible is that people of different belief systems have different interpretations of it, and it can be hard to find the parts that are relevant to my situation. But I'm sure it's still worth reading.

Mark Green

Message 14 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Thats was meant entirely as a non-secular reference - Its an important document

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
wizengr

So when we select the "New Sheet Set" checkbox in the Sheet creation process where does the Civil 3D get the default .dst template it uses to create the sheet set for the present sheets? Is it from the path in the Template folder as pointed out by Joe above?

Message 16 of 20
gr.cadcivil

That's my question as well, because I have set up some attributes to the .dst file, but when Civil creates the sheets by itself, it uses other default that I have no idea where it is, the other option would be to copy and paste my default .dst in every single drawing that I have for each project and ask for Civil add to existing one.

Another issue that we have here is that the AutoCAD doesn't have attributes to Sub-set, and in our case, the Sub-sets are the category of the projects, like Drainage, Architecture, Civil, Structure and so on, so there are some attributes that are different from for each category, and to fill this attributes I would have to fill one sheet by one, that's is not save time doing.

Message 17 of 20
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: gr.cadcivil

dst defaults as you say come from no where. they are simply the OOTB settings of SSM.

If you are referring to creating plan production sheets you would want to create your sheet set first and choose the option to add to existing

if you are referring to creating it is always "by example" if that option is not chosen then you get the OOTB defaults. the beauty of the dst is it is very portable.

Yes you can copy paste you preferred dst fro file to file

There is indeed a subset field under Sheet set fields CurrentSheetSetSubSet or something like that. you'll see it . I use it all the time

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 18 of 20
gr.cadcivil

Thank you for the answer, yes I was referring to plan and production tool, at the moment we are using exaclly like that, adding to an existing dst, but we would like to be able to set custom properties to subsets, and unfortunately there is no such a thing to do it in the AutoCAD, only by Add-ins that cost $ 50, and even with that app we will be able just to copy and paste information into multiple sheets, about the field "CurrentSheetSetSubSet", it is not so usefull to us, because we need to define custom properties for each sub-sets (disciplines) and jsut gettind the name of subset is not enough to us, but any way thank you very much for your attention.

Message 19 of 20
Joe-Bouza

I’d like to understand by his better. You can create all the custom fields you can imagine plus make subsets inside subset.

What specifically are you wanting to accomplish? Can you share a sketch or screenshot

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 20 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Plus. If you are looking at JTBWorld sheet set properties editor you would save that 50 bucks on the first sheet set you edi with it

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report