Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a surface from pickets

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
559 Views, 9 Replies

Making a surface from pickets

Hi, is there possible to make a surface from pickets i have in topography, if yes, how ? Iam adding jpg aswell. Iam just learning, so please be patient with me 🙂 Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

First welcome to the forum.

Second, I'm not sure what you mean by "from pickets".  Based on your image, I can only guess that you want the points to define the surface.

If so, create a blank surface.  Then in toolspace, expand your new surface, goto Edits>Points>Add Points  OR Edits>Point Groups>Add Point Group.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Well i did that, but i havent any surface yet and i actually dont know if i am right, but what i did. I created surface, next i went to definition and to point gruops, i selected all points and added them. But nothing happened .. Maybe my points are not right or something. I giving you to check. 

Message 4 of 10
sboon

The drawing includes blocks which I assume represent survey points.  It would be possible to use them as part of the surface if they were inserted as the correct elevations, but these are not.  Is it possible for you to get the coordinate file from the survey?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I think, i cant get that file. But i have countour lines, maybe those would help us to make proper surface with elevations, slopes and everything ? I will add them aswell. 

Message 6 of 10
sboon

Polyline contours can be used to build surfaces if they have elevations, but yours don't.  The only way that you could use these would be to select the polylines one at a time and assign the correct elevation to each.

Edit - I looked at this again and realized that you have text at each point block with an elevation.  I was able to use the data extraction tools to build a csv file from those text labels.  Import the file to get cogo points, then add those to your surface.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Why when i trying import points from files, they write me, no point file format  match found 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Thanks, actually i figured that out 🙂 i made my surface using elevation contours. Btw, can u tell me, how you created that csv files, that could help me in future 🙂 

Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup

All of your elevation text is a standard offset from the point blocks. Move all your text at once so the insertion point of the text is at the insertion points of the point blocks. Then use the MoveTextToElevation command and build the surface from the text.

sft.png

BTW. The only Surface Style I see in your drawing, Standard, is not set to display contours. You need to import one that does or to edit the Standard Style before you will see contours.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
sboon
in reply to: AllenJessup

A few other things to consider.

• It appears that you have received a drawing from an outside source, and started working from that.  This is very bad practice.  Drawings not created from a Civil3d template do not have the correct styles and settings necessary to use the software productively.  Always start from a Civil3d template, then insert your drawing and explode it.
  • If contours are the only source you have for surface data then that's what you'll have to use, but contours are only an approximation of the true surface model.  The phrase "All contours are lies" is used fairly often on this board.  You have access to the surveyed coordinates and they would be the better source for your purposes.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report