Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.MMS files are for the birds!!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
GreeneSWCD
4076 Views, 17 Replies

.MMS files are for the birds!!

I could call these things everything but a "file" but I won't on here...

I keep getting the attached message.  I found the .mms and moved it to wher it says, but nothing changes.  Can someone please give me a list of directions to counter this warning? 

None of the contour lines that are on this surface are coming through when I plot, I assume these are correlated events. 

Thanks for the help!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Jay_B
in reply to: GreeneSWCD

Turn off Level of Detail on Views panel of View Tab?

If you can see contours on screen but they aren't plotting...

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 18
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: Jay_B

Unfortunately, Level of Detail isn't it.

So, how do I go about moving the files to the location stated in the warning message and get the warning to go away? Which files need to be moved, and to where?
Message 4 of 18
Jay_B

I'm currently working on a project using an mms file associated to the lidar surface/data I'm using. I'm not going to pretend to know much about mms files but mine got automatically created in my "Data shorcuts project folder" with all the c3d source drawings. I don't remember specifying a location for the file it just got created in this location AFAIK. This is my first project using mms file as I normally deal with survey project data.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 18
GreeneSWCD

That's exactly what I'm looking for, how to set the path to that mms file. Evidently, my path isn't set yet, and I can't find out how to set it. I wish mine acted like yours and set it on its own. Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know the answer to how to set the path?
Message 6 of 18
Jay_B

What version & SP are you using?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 18
GreeneSWCD

2012 C3D, and I'm unsure as to what service pack. Where can I find that info? I'm using a nationally based network license.
Message 8 of 18
Jay_B

Enter About at command line.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 18
GreeneSWCD

SP2
Message 10 of 18
Jeff_M

From the 2012 Help file:

AutoCAD Civil 3D has a mechanism for handling operations with large surfaces. When you save a drawing containing a large surface, the data pertaining to the large surface is written to a separate file that is saved in the same location where the surface drawing resides. The TIN surface companion files have the .mms file extension, and the grid surface files have the .grs file extension. The file name of a surface companion file has the <drawing_name>_<surface object handle>.mms format.

Note

Every time you move the drawing file to a different location, you must move the companion file to the same location.

For more details on working with large surfaces, see:

Best Practices: Working with Large Surfaces

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 18
Jeff_M

Why is your drawing file in your Temp folder? (Based on the image you posted in the first message.)

EESignature
Message 12 of 18
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: Jeff_M

It's not, but the message is actually telling me to move it there.

Here is another screen shot showing my C:/County/Job file.  As you can see, my .dwg and my .mms files are in this directory together now, but I still get the message. 

Message 13 of 18
Jeff_M

The message is saying to move the MMS file to that folder because C3D thinks your drawing is located there. Enter DWGPREFIX at the command line and hit Enter. What does it say?

EESignature
Message 14 of 18
Jeff_M

Just trying to rule out things...is the file being Xref'ed into another drawing and you are getting that error when loading that drawing, or does it occur when opening the drawing containing the surface directly?

EESignature
Message 15 of 18
Jay_B

Jeff,

I have no idea if this could be related to this issue but find it interesting that the 2009 version had mms file issues relative to the temp folder. Scroll down to Issues Resolved in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009 Update 2.1>Surfaces

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 16 of 18
GreeneSWCD

Jeff M,

It says:  "C:\Pickaway County Plans\Karellas_CRP\" (read only)

I typed that command in while I was in layout mode.  I have no idea if it would matter, but I thought I'd throw that out there. 

Message 17 of 18
GreeneSWCD

By the way guys, I never had this problem until switching from 2010 to 2012.  So, if it was an issue in 09, I didn't see it.  Also, I look at watersheds for open ditches a lot, and those watersheds can be several thousand acres in size.  So, I use lidar a lot for this, and several drawings take multiple tiles to see the entire watershed.  So, this problem won't be going away for me anytime soon because large surfaces are very common. 

I know I can weed the surface. I also know that I can clip the surface and/or crop the surface.  Both methods will result in less points, but with a 2 million point threshold for .mms files, I'll still be getting them in the biggest jobs.  This is why I'm so interested in working this out.  Thanks for all your help. 

Message 18 of 18
ahidalgo218

Hi!

And How can I open these archives when send me by email?

Have I agroup them in only file? And then how can I join them in Civil3D?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report