Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MH Label, Dragged State location

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
rkmcswain
3386 Views, 15 Replies

MH Label, Dragged State location

See the image below.

What is telling the leader (arrowhead end) to point to the side of the manhole at what appears to be a random location?

There doesn't seem to be anyway to move or otherwise control the arrowhead location.

We are hoping for something more like what is shown in purple (added to the image)

Thanks.

mhlabel.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thats just the way it works when dragged. I have two lable style defined to place description and rim on a stick and another that places inverts on a stick below.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Not to shoot the messenger, but any idea behind the thought process here?

Why would anyone not want to be able to control the location of the leader?

On a COGO point, I could understand...it's a point...there are only so many places to point.... But on a MH in profile, that could be a very long object where you almost certainly need to move labels around...

Thanks Joe.

Message 4 of 16
Joe-Bouza

True. That is one of the many wonders and confounding aspect of c3d.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 16
klugb

If I understand what you want it's the one on the left?

The right side is the way we label our drainage systems, but I merged them together to get what you want.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 6 of 16
wfberry
in reply to: klugb

Bruce:

I think that R.K. wants the arrow to perhaps point to the M.H. Rim.  Looking at the "picture" I am attaching and selecting the "Structure Label Placement" at "Top of Structure" would seem like the answer. But in all these years I have tried this I have NEVER got it to work.

Bill

Message 7 of 16
klugb
in reply to: wfberry

Ok I'm confused now? He said he wanted to match the purple lines like the image, which shows it connected to the bottom of the structure. He did say he wanted the arrow to point there so I added it.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 8 of 16
wfberry

Bruce:

I must have been wearing my "Rose Colored' (only) glasses, I totally missed the Purple Lines.

Bill

Message 9 of 16
klugb
in reply to: wfberry

No problem,

You and Joe are both correct though. The label placement doesn't seem to follow the settings for top or bottom AND the leader points to the side of the manhole when dragged. We just "TRY" to drag it to a location that makes it appear to be pointing to the rim, but sometimes that's not possible either.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 10 of 16
Neilw_05

I've noticed that the leader arrow will slide around the outline of the structure according to the text location. With some finesse you can get the leader to point to the top or bottom of the structure. I don't see a way to control where it attaches along the sides though. AFAIK the attachment options in the label style settings don't apply to the dragged state.

I don't know when this capability was added. In the past the leader always pointed to the center of the structure in dragged state so this is at least a slight improvement, but it is certainly not satisfactory.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 11 of 16
rkmcswain

I'm still paying attention to this thread everyone.

I'll take a closer look at the suggestions when I get back on this project.

Thanks for the input.

Message 12 of 16
m177
in reply to: Neilw_05

Still no feature to have the label point to the top center or bottom center of the structure?

Thanks,

Mark

Message 13 of 16
dkistlertx
in reply to: m177

Ok, hopefully this helps as I have found a better way to drag notes for structures. Didn't seem like this was completely fixed and this works well for me.

Drag MH not below and "toggle label pin". Then click the round symbol above checked box on note and drag down as far as you need.

A similar function can be used to keep the arrow on top of MH with a dragged label.

c3d mh note below result.JPGc3d mh note below.JPG

Message 14 of 16
dkistlertx
in reply to: m177

Ok, hopefully this helps as I have found a better way to drag notes for structures. Didn't seem like this was completely fixed and this works well for me.

Drag MH not below and "toggle label pin". Then click the round symbol above checked box on note and drag down as far as you need.

A similar function can be used to keep the arrow on top of MH with a dragged label.

c3d mh note below.JPG

Message 15 of 16
Simon_Blain
in reply to: dkistlertx

I use a label settings that I can drag up or down (not left or right, it's always straight). No need to set labels pins either. Also works for top of structure (just different settings needs to be used). The gap between the mh and the start of the leader is wanted (it can be removed) and an arrowhead could easily be added

If you want something like this I can post the label style I used. I got the idea from another guy on a blog but I don't remember which blog.

Small downside, you need a 2nd label to place the text on the left side (in practice it's really easy to switch from one to the other so it's no biggy)

The initial label placement is important (dimension anchors option and value) and it's something I would like improved from autodesk (idea link below)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/pipenetwork-labels-default-location-in-label-s...

Message 16 of 16
MMcCall402
in reply to: Simon_Blain

I do the same as Sblain.  Structure profile labels are only moved vertically as needed and the structure info hangs off the vertical line like a flag. (styles for left and right 'flag' is needed)  Structure labels have the ability to be moved vertically without triggering drag mode.  The labeling defaults can be set to start the line at the top, middle or bottom of a structure.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report