Active Contributor
iflorintheo
Message 1 of 25 (495 Views)
Accepted Solution

Link to see Civil 3d Highways from USA?

495 Views, 24 Replies
07-28-2013 04:06 AM

Hi everyone,

I know state transpotation deparments are showing designs online in tiff or pdf.

In my country I can download all the public infrastructure designs from the autorities in pdf.

Can you give me a link to see Civil 3d highway designs made in USA ? if there's any ...

thanks

Civil Engineer / Infrastructure of metropolitan transports
http://civil3design.wordpress.com/
*Expert Elite*
wfberry
Message 2 of 25 (488 Views)

Re: Link to see Civil 3d Highways from USA?

07-28-2013 05:16 AM in reply to: iflorintheo

T.F.:

This will get you to my home state of Kentucky:

http://maps.kytc.ky.gov/ProjectArchives/

Select a City on the left.  I suggest our largest City -> Louisville

Once you get there, select the round Blue Circle with an "i" (Identify) and click one of the roads.

Eventually you will get to a point to select a DOCUMENT.

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014

Active Contributor
iflorintheo
Message 3 of 25 (482 Views)

Re: Link to see Civil 3D Highways from USA?

07-28-2013 05:26 AM in reply to: wfberry

Wow, that's great but most of them are archives from the 80's.

Do you know any particularly highway made in Civil 3D recently ?

*Expert Elite*
wfberry
Message 4 of 25 (457 Views)

07-28-2013 10:37 AM in reply to: iflorintheo

You will have to search for State Highway Departments.  There are only about about 3 that use Civil 3D, Minnesota being one.

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 5 of 25 (448 Views)

07-28-2013 12:43 PM in reply to: wfberry

wfberry wrote:

You will have to search for State Highway Departments.  There are only about about 3 that use Civil 3D, Minnesota being one.

Minnesota is strictly Geopak.

Wisconsin, Massachusetts and Florida use Civil  3d and I heard California is starting to use C3d.

I don't do DOT work but a quick Google search brings up BIDX which appears to be a service to bid on projects for multiple DOT's. There is a fee to access this site (which you may find  common to access current construction plans online).

Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Distinguished Mentor
michael.robertson
Message 6 of 25 (404 Views)

07-29-2013 04:04 AM in reply to: Jay_B

Florida has no completed Civil3D projects at this time, C3D was just approved for production use this Spring.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Active Contributor
iflorintheo
Message 7 of 25 (400 Views)

07-29-2013 04:14 AM in reply to: michael.robertson
atm Wisconsin, Massachusetts and Florida have no archives with their project designs, or at least i couldn't find any link for public use.
Distinguished Contributor
mike.barkasi
Message 8 of 25 (368 Views)

07-29-2013 07:06 AM in reply to: iflorintheo

Could you please forward me any you come across..

As Mentioned C3D replaced Caice in Wisconsin and CA.Florida, used Caice for Survey. I believe after several years (and who knows the cost) Autodesk and supporting consultants may have finally matched MicroStation and GEOPAK standards.

I have yet to see a project designed Start to finish, though I have seen several InRoads/GEOPAK projects (or portions of) redesigned using C3D. Most consultantants continue to use Bentley products where major infrastructure is involved.

Redesigning portions of actually projects (case studies) is considerably easier as true engineering decissions have already been made.

Regards

Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

Hammer.john.j
Message 9 of 25 (243 Views)

08-23-2013 06:12 AM in reply to: mike.barkasi

Connecticut and Massachusetts have A LOT of them....  Just because any give state DOT uses a software platform, doesn't mean the work is executed using it... I've read and continue to hear about Bentley's affiliation with DOT's... The truth is, that DOT's require submissions to be in Bentley's format.  Many people will tell you they'd wrather work in a format and export to another than work with another set of operations.  You could say the visa-versa, I'm sure plenty of people work in Bentley and reformat to Autodesk.

The Big Dig in Boston?  AutoCAD, MassDOT=Civil 3d so I'd look at Massachusetts as a source.

http://www.aplussurvey.com/index.php/our-services/121-bridges-and-highways.html

edit more links:

http://www.cadpilot.com/blogs/Jump_On_C3D/get-the-jump-on-civil-3d/2011/10/06/I_Survey_Civil_3D_and_...

go here:  http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/

then click on "projects"  that should do it.

John Hammer, LA
Dell Precision T3500 - Xenon W3550 @ 3.07 (4 core)
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 - Dual Monitors
Cat 6 network with GlobalScape Avail Agent - WAFS
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium and Civil 3D 2012 & 2014
mike.barkasi
Message 10 of 25 (235 Views)

08-23-2013 06:34 AM in reply to: iflorintheo

To respond to "Extreme 03"

Rest assured, the majority of large infrastructure projects work with and colaborate on Bentley Systems products. This is Because this is their focus (AEC)...

Are you saying Civil 3d completed the "Big Dig" in Boston??  I find that hard to believe... perhaps AutoCAD and Caice...

whatever AutoDesk software that was used in the process, would not qualify the project as a success...

See the exerpts below (wikipedia) concerning the project .

The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the U.S. and was plagued by escalating costs, scheduling overruns, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests,[2][3] and even one death.[4] The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998[5] at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006[update]).[6] However, the project was completed only in December 2007, at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%)[6] as of 2006[update].[7] The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it will not be paid off until 2038.[8] As a result of the deaths, leaks, and other design flaws, the consortium that oversaw the project agreed to pay $407 million in restitution, and several smaller companies agreed to pay a combined sum of approximately $51 million

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs