Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link a coordinates file to a 3d polyline

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2125 Views, 14 Replies

Link a coordinates file to a 3d polyline

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to link an excel spreadsheet (xls, csv, txt, etc) that contains coordinates (x,y,z) to a 3d polyline that was constructed using the coordinates the excel spreadsheet contains. The point of that is that when the coordinates change in the excel spreadsheet, the 3d polyline will update itself automatically by reading the new coordinates from the linked excel spreadsheet.

Is that already possible in Civil 3D or AutoCAD? If not, is there any way it can be done (perhaps via VBA, LISP, etc)?

Many thanks for your help

Loukas

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mathewkol
in reply to: Anonymous

It could certainly be done using programming.  I can't think of a way to do it out of the box.  Maybe someone has a brilliant idea.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Not dynamic and not exactly what you are looking for, but seeing that no one else replied, here it is

Create a csv file with PNEZD where your description will have the description as well as connective line code “B” for begin and “E” for end. The sample below will create a figure FencePost.

In C3D2011 Import the pts via the survey tab. The downside you will have to re-import to get the changes to the text file to update in your drawing. (the reimport is just two clicks as C3D survey saves the import settings)

2,5047.4285,9999.5818,78.6023,FencePost B

3,5047.6924,9987.9653,77.7915,FencePost

4,5047.1646,9974.7648,76.7385,FencePost

5,5047.1646,9957.3400,75.3846,FencePost

6,5046.9007,9945.4595,74.4644,FencePost

7,5046.9007,9933.8430,73.6032,FencePost

8,5047.1646,9921.4345,72.7112,FencePost E

Message 4 of 15
mathewkol

Of course.  Nice one.  OP, remember that this is not a 3D Polyline, if that's important.  it can be exploded into one though.

Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mathewkol

good point,Matt,  about the 3Dpoly, and it all depends on what you need the 3Dpoly for.

The other angle I was looking into was the "create figures interactively"

I had thought that once you selected the points that defined the figure, they became linked dynamically

This would mean that if you moved a point, than the figure would also update.

Wrong...., unlike other C3D dynamic objects, figures and points are not (unless the point is a control point, but then you cannot easily edit a control point or can you)

So this could just be another wish list item.

Figures stay dynamic to the points that define them.

Message 6 of 15
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:

good point,Matt,  about the 3Dpoly, and it all depends on what you need the 3Dpoly for.

The other angle I was looking into was the "create figures interactively"

I had thought that once you selected the points that defined the figure, they became linked dynamically

This would mean that if you moved a point, than the figure would also update.

Wrong...., unlike other C3D dynamic objects, figures and points are not (unless the point is a control point, but then you cannot easily edit a control point or can you)

So this could just be another wish list item.

Figures stay dynamic to the points that define them.

That's what happens when you use the Import Survey Data wizard to import data through a Survey database...

Sinc
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

Already addressed the process regarding the survey tab and importing a survey pickup that contains a figure.

Then use the re-import when the point file changes.

However, is there an easy way of editing the points in the survey database, and have the figure update?

I couldn’t find anything. But that doesn’t mean anything; I now have to wear reading glasses and still miss a lot.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you all for your ideas. I will definitely give them a try.

I think I need to give a bit more details regarding the purpose of my request.

In Civil 3D I created from a point file (x,y,z) via LISP routine a 3D polyline which represents a 50 miles pipeline. I couldn't use the pipe network library of C3D because it doesn't work as I would like it to for the specific project. Anyway, when I create the pipeline all at once (all 50 miles of it) everything is fine. however, in real life, when you lay a pipe into the ground you do it in stages, say 500m at the time. The surveyors are going to provide x,y,z (for as built purposes) of these 500m sections as they are laid into the ground. The thing is though that the x,y,z of the section laid the day before may slightly change when the new section is in place. Therefore, I would like to update the coords on the coords file and then have the 3d polyline update itself automatically, instead of having to redraw the whole thing.

I hope this gives you all a better understanding of what I am looking for and why the solution needs to work for 3d polylines.

Any more ideas? Can anyone help with a LISP or VB code to achieve that? I 'm afraid my knowledge of programming is extremely limited.

Thank you all

Loukas

Message 9 of 15
mathewkol

I doubt you'll find a routine to do exactly as you need, though it's possible. There are plenty of professionals around who can do it for a moderate price.
Matt Kolberg
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Will this work.??

1. Create a points file based on the example I posted above
  2. Create a survey database and import the points file that will create a figure
  3. Create a pipe network from object and select the figure.

Unfortunately none of this is dynamic.

Then, the issue is finding an application or have someone to create an app for you with reactors (I never got into that part of coding)

Your second choice could be finding a way to quickly update your pipe network once you have as-built data.

This is completely do-able, an app to read a points file and adjust the pipe network.

Message 11 of 15
Murph_Map
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:
I doubt you'll find a routine to do exactly as you need, though it's possible. There are plenty of professionals around who can do it for a moderate price.

Or free just to do it, but I'm out of that business for now. 🙂

Hint : Topology in Map

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

@mfernandes

Thanks for the suggestion.

That was the first thing I have tried. I thought I would create the 3d polyline of the pipeline with a lisp or script and then I would create a pipe network from object. I assumed that since the pipe network would be a civil 3d object it would update automatically if the coords should change. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

There are a few ways to create a non-dynamic pipeline. However, that would mean that everytime the engineers weld two lengths of the pipe together on site, we would have to redraw the whole thing (due to coords change, even slightly). I am trying to find a way to avoid this as it is time consuming (create the 3d polyline with the new coords and then create the long sections of every length)

If you have any more ideas please let me know. You never know where a solution may come from!

Cheers,

Loukas

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Murph

Oh, pity. I could use a programmer right now! Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 15
Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

@Murph

Oh, pity. I could use a programmer right now! Smiley Sad

The resume was out there for almost a year and no one bit so I settled on a minimum wage labor job .

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 15 of 15
TerryDotson

You never know where a solution may come from!

If you're interested, email me a typical source data file to dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com and we'll discuss it. A solution can be created to do exactly what you want (especially with 3dPolys).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report