Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Slope to Elevation only works in one direction

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
smizsak
1584 Views, 11 Replies

Link Slope to Elevation only works in one direction

I have a subassembly that will target a specific elevation. The problem I am having is that it will only work in one direction, so if I assign an elevation that is typically 2 feet higher then it only works in the cut scenario. If I switch the value of the Elevation to a lower target value then it only works in a fill scenario. This only works if I switch the sign of the slope from positive to negative to keep things equal... Basically it is ignoring the decision I made.  Any ideas? I've attached some screen captures for a visual.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
fcernst
in reply to: smizsak

Post a good clear sketch of the design problem for comment and analysis.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 12
doni49

In addition to the sketch Fred asked for, I'd like to see a screen shot that shows us what IS happening (i.e. one sketch showing us what you WANT and a screenshot showing us what you DO GET).

In the interim, how are P1 & AP1 defined?  It sounds like you're saying that it always uses the TRUE side even when you expect it to use the FALSE side.  Right?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 12
smizsak

fcernst and Don;

I've attached three new images of the subassembly in object viewer.

The subassembly will build just fine if it is completely in a Cut or Fill scenario.

I assigned different slopes for each scenarios to test my "Decision" in SAC... Works justs fine

Problem is when the subassembly isn't always in just a cut or fill situation but varies.

In this situation... The subassembly will only build in a Cut scenario (True statement in my decision).

If I switch the slope to havbe a negative value... then it will only build in the Fill areas but still pulling the slopes from the True statement

My AP1 is assigned from the Origin with Delta X Delta Y... O for X and "Elevation" for Y (See Image04)

I then compare AP1.elevation to P1.elevation to see if AP1 is greater than P1.

If true (See image01)

If False (See Image02)

Variables are in Image03.

Thanks for the assistance

Message 5 of 12
smizsak

Missed Image04

Message 6 of 12
doni49

How is P1 defined?

AP1 is ALWAYS the same distance from the origin (unless you use the Section Editor to change individual station ranges/sections).  If P1 is also a static distance from the origin, then the decision will always be the same.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 12
smizsak
in reply to: doni49

P1 is defined at the origin

AP1 is defined to a set elevation

So the distance from P1.elevation to AP1.elevation should change based on the profile of the corridor.

I can see the subassembly distance change in the corridor

Here is a copy of the PKT

Message 8 of 12
doni49

@smizsak wrote:

P1 is defined at the origin

AP1 is defined to a set elevation

So the distance from P1.elevation to AP1.elevation should change based on the profile of the corridor.

I can see the subassembly distance change in the corridor

Here is a copy of the PKT

No AP1's Y parameter is set to DELTA Y.  Delta means CHANGE of a specified amount.  In this case, Delta Y = Elevation and is what I'm guessing is a decimal value.  If that value is 10.0, then it will be 10.0 ABOVE origin.  If that value is -5.0 then it will be 5.0 BELOW the origin.  Therefore, the distance between AP1 and P1 will always be the same.

Origin is always at the profile location.  That's what is causing you to see the change in elevation. 

EDIT:  That's why you have DELTA X = 0 -- you're going 0.0 in the x direction so it's directly above or below the origin.

EDIT2:  I forgot to mention that I couldn't open your file because I'm on 2012 here.  When I attempted to open your file, it threw errors.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 12
doni49

If Elevation is an Elevation Target (on the Target Parameters tab) then try setting AP1's properties to Angle and Delta Y.

Then Elevation Target to Elevation.

SACElevationTarget.png

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 12
smizsak

Took me a second to wrap my head around it. Makes sense now.

I changed my decision to be "elevation>P1.elevation". Don't even use AP1 anymore.

Seems to work now. Thanks for the help

Message 11 of 12
doni49

You're welcome.  I'm glad to hear that it worked out.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 12

Can you please sent me the pkt file.

@smizsak wrote:

Took me a second to wrap my head around it. Makes sense now.

I changed my decision to be "elevation>P1.elevation". Don't even use AP1 anymore.

Seems to work now. Thanks for the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report