Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetypes

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jabei
870 Views, 12 Replies

Linetypes

I would like to create or use a linetype that is dashed with equal sized dashes and spaces but with a top and bottom line enclosing the spaces. Does such a linetype exist or how can I create it?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jabei

Look into your help and go to Customization Guide and then to Custom Linetypes. 

Message 3 of 13
AllenJessup

Your best bet would be to read the help on custom linetypes and the use of shapes in linetypes.

Express Tools have convenient commands like Convert Block to Shapes, Make Shape and Make Linetype.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

I just thought of a possible easier way for the enclosed spaces try inserting text as an equal sign (=). You could copy one of the linetypes that contain text and modify that. You'll have to play around with the text size. No guarantee it will work - but I thought it might be worth a try.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
sjg
Advisor

*TEST,TEST ----=----=----=----=----=----=-- A,.5,-.1,["=",STANDARD,S=.2,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-0.1],-.05 Here is one I came up with, see if this works for you.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Allen, Nice thought but you will get jagged line if you try to do a curved line with an equal character.

Message 7 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

You'll get that with a shape also, at least in the segment that has the shape. But I've never figured out how to switch between a single linetype and a multi linetype within the linetype it's self.  I've created Barricade linetypes by using shapes. But they don't work well on curves.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
jabei
in reply to: sjg

I pasted the code into my linetype file and then when I go to load it I get an error that says something to the effect of "Bad Definition TEST at line 137"

Any suggestions? I have attached the linetype file.

Message 9 of 13
sjg
Advisor

Refer to above linetypes in your text file. Start a new line before the A
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Allen, Out of curiosity did you create the shapes from scratch or did you use the tool from the Express tools.  I find that creating the shapes from scratch give me better control of where the shape insertion point will be so when the line is curved, the shaped is not that cockeyed.  See attached.

Message 11 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

I've used both. I believe I've found the same about the insertion point as you. The problem is, when you have paralell lines in a shape that make up about 50% of the line like the OP wanted, the paralell segments always look a little strange. You'rs look nice.

I'll attache the image that I tried to insert in the last post.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
ccoles

"I pasted the code into my linetype file and then when I go to load it I get an error that says something to the effect of "Bad Definition TEST at line 137""

You will get this message if you don't have a font style named 'STANDARD'. Change the font style name to one you have in the drawing or create a new style named STANDARD with a fixed height of zero.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

The program AutoLINE seems to have figured it out.  I have seen their website and demo but have yet to have a supervisor who wants to spend the money.  Even though it is not a lot, I have bought programs such as these before and not have the boss appreciate my efforts or reimburse my expense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report