Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lines by Bearings Not Working Properly

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
kford1186
3328 Views, 12 Replies

Lines by Bearings Not Working Properly

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to draw lines using the bearing command and it does not seem to be working.  This is what happens........

I type in L, 'BD and it tells me to select starting point or [.p/.n/.g] ( which I do not know what that means but I just click somewhere to start lol)  then it asks to specify the quadrant (1-4) so Ill type in the quadrant (ex: 1), Then it says specify bearing.  This is where the problem is. I can only click in the quadrant to pick a bearing. I cannot type it, If I type  24.0556 or 24d05'56", nothing happens. it just says current direction unit and in the command line it still is telling me to specify bearing. if i click an angle it will then ask for the distance and if i type in the distance nothing happens again. It says a numerica value is needed. 

Im thinking its some setting that I probable messed up. Can anyone help me please!

Thank you!!!!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MtnMax700
in reply to: kford1186

Have you tried it from the "Transparent" toolbar?  Works better for me from it.  It also works better if you type line and then pick a starting point-by coordinates, endpoint or just pick a point on the screen

David

Message 3 of 13
gary.lovegrove

Are you in world?

Gary

Message 4 of 13
gbondoc

First segement doesn't get drawn for me. I usually start with Quadrant 1, Bearing 0, Distance 0. Then next segement Quadrant 1, Bearing 24d05'56", Distance 50, etc. 

-Gary

Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014

C3d 2014 SP1

Message 5 of 13
Pointdump

K,

".p" = Point Number
".n" = Northing
".g" = Point Object

Typing in the bearing has always worked for me, so I'm not sure what's happening there. In your Ambient Settings, check Angle Format.

Angles.png

Can you post your drawing so someone can check?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 13
jporter

Like gary.lovegrove said...are you in world coordinates? I have that some Civil 3D commands don't work properly when you've changed the UCS to something other than world.

Jason
Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 7 of 13
kford1186

Here is the drawing. It is just blank lol But try drawing a line by bearing. it just doesnt work. I know I can draw lines using angles and such but I would like to be able to use the bearing command. Its just easier.

Message 8 of 13
kford1186

Thank you everyone for all your help. I figured out what was going on but I still do not know what to do to fix it. I was using a template from another drafter who has more current version of civil than I do. So there were several different things that were not working properly and I never realized the connection. Everytime I open a drawing it says this drawing has been created with a newer version...etc.I cannot draw lines with bearings, I cannot open drawings settings. however, If I open a new drawing that has not been converted I can do everything. This just makes it difficult, because we are constantly transferring drawings back and forth in the office. I always have to convert files from a newer version to 2011, So I need to figure out how to solve this and make things work when i convert files.

Message 9 of 13
jporter

The issue is that you're going back and forth between versions. I was able to open your drawing (I see you have points in there) and draw lines by bearing and distance with ease.  I'm using 2014 however.  You CANNOT simply take a drawing (or a template) and just to a SAVEAS to get it back to another version (http://enceptia.com/dirt/?p=1717).  One issue you're having is that in 2014 you have styles that in 2011 your software doesn't.  So it doesn't know what to do or how to work with these newer styles.  

Also, if you're using this file as a starting template understand that there is data already in there.  I see you have points and a point group.  

BearingIssue.jpg

Also I ran an AUDIT on the drawing and there were 9 errors.

BearingIssue-01.jpg 

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 10 of 13
kford1186
in reply to: jporter

I have been using the TrueView Software to convert the files. So is there anyway to fix this or at least make some things work? What am I supposed to do?

Message 11 of 13
jporter

TrueView only converts AutoCAD components down (lines, arcs, circles, polylines, etc.), but it does not convert Civil 3D objects (points, surfaces, alignments, styles, styles, styles).  You either need to move forward to 2014 or have the 2014 move backward to 2011.  Otherwise, you'll continue to have this issue.  It is NEVER recommended to work on files going back and forth between versions.  The problems incurred by doing so lead to many, many headaches.  And what you may be seeing with the bearings issue may be just the crust of more to come.  

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you're looking for.  

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 12 of 13
_Hathaway
in reply to: jporter

Going back and forth between versions simply wont work...or at least it wont work without many hassles.  We've dealt with this many times in the past.  All machines must be upgraded at the same time for things to work efficiently based on our experience.

Message 13 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: MtnMax700

David:

Using the Transparent Toolbar in 2015 only works for me for one call, resets back to square one.  But using 'BD (from the keyboard) works as usual, continues to the end.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report