Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Label Precision

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
5164 Views, 26 Replies

Line Label Precision

Unable to change line label precision (both bearing and distance).

The goal is N10d10'10"E, 100.00' 

Civil 3D 2012 is giving N10d10'10.00", 100.000'

I am using a template with the distance precision set to 2.

The drawing setting->Ambient settings distance precision are set to 2.

The feature settings distance precison is set to 2.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Thank you

Justin

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
gjrcmb
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to change the General Line Label Style settings or create a New Style with the settings you want.

Select an existing Bearing and Distance label, right click and select Properties.  See what General Line Label Style is currently set.  Go to Home tab | Toolspace | General | Label Styles | Line and find the that the Label Style that you found in the Properties dialog box.  Either modify that Label Style or create a Copy of it by right clicking the style.  You may want to create a copy until you are sure that you get the settings correct.  Right click and select to edit the existing or copied style.  On the Layout tab, see if you have a Bearing and Distance components listed in the Component Name list.  If so, select either Bearing or Distance.  Under the Text Property, click on the Contents entry and then select the ellipsis (...) button.  In the Text Compoment Editor, select click on the text displayed in the preview window which in my instance says General Direction Segment (for bearing component) and General Segment Length (for distance component).  Under Properties change to the desired precision.  Select the "Arrow" button to the right of the Properties drop down list to replace the text displayed in the preview window.  Select OK.  Edit the text for the other component in the same fashion to change its precision.  If you copied the style you will have to change the style that your bearing and distance label references to the new style.

I probably went into too much detail here, but wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

Message 3 of 27
gjrcmb
in reply to: gjrcmb

Be aware though that if you change the existing style this will affect all bearing and distance labels in your drawing that are using that style!!

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous

I tried the suggested proceedure, I'm still not getting the desired precisions.  Help!!

Message 5 of 27
troma

I'm going to copy part of the above procedure:

In the Text Compoment Editor, select [click on] the text displayed in the preview window which in my instance says General Direction Segment (for bearing component) and General Segment Length (for distance component).  Under Properties change to the desired precision.  Select the "Arrow" button to the right of the Properties drop down list to replace the text displayed in the preview window. 

If you say you followed it and it didn't work, I'm guessing you've made a fairly common error.  That is, you changed the setting, but didn't use the arrow to apply your setting and replace the existing text.

Either that or you are editing the wrong style.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: troma

Thank you for your prompt response.  For the line style Bearing Over Distance, I followed the proceedureas indicated.  When I went back to check, the precisions are at where I set them.  Nevertheless, when I label a line segment, the precisions are at default, and not where I set them.  I'm stumped.

Message 7 of 27
troma

Can you recreate this in a new drawing, or dumb down a copy of your existing drawing.  Get it to just one or two lines and labels showing this behaviour. Post the drawing here and someone may be able to help you.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous

Here's a sample drawing.  Thank you.

Message 9 of 27
troma

What version is this?  I'm working in 2011 currently.  I recently got 2013 loaded but haven't had time to test it out yet.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 27
Anonymous

Message 11 of 27
troma

I presumed that you wanted the distance precision changed to two decimals.  Not sure where you were having problems, but it worked for me.  If it was something else, let me know.

This is how it was when I opened the drawing:

BoD as was.PNG

And this is the edit I made:

BoD new.PNG

Here is the label in the drawing:

BoD result.PNG

Is it possible you were editing the bearing component instead of the distance component?

Mark Green

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous

For which label style are you finding the Properties for General Segment Length?  The only style I see under lines is Bearing over Distance, and there is no property called General Segment Length there.

Message 13 of 27
BrianHailey

HERE

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

I'm doing exactly what it's saying it just isn't working.  I give up.

Message 15 of 27
BrianHailey

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm doing exactly what it's saying it just isn't working.  I give up.

No you aren't, otherwise it would work.

What are you doing then? Download JING and record your steps so we can see what you are doing.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous

Message 17 of 27
BrianHailey

Why are you editing an alignment label? Go to the General section and edit the line lable there.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 18 of 27
troma

I clicked on the label itself in the drawing, then went to 'Edit Label Style'.  This way you know for sure that you are editing the right label.

Mark Green

Message 19 of 27
caddie99

did you click the blue arrow to apply your settings?

Message 20 of 27
Anonymous

Because I'm a dumb-**** surveyor.  Thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report