Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit acess of removing files from data shourcuts

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
hahmad
304 Views, 7 Replies

Limit acess of removing files from data shourcuts

Is there any way to limit acess of removing files from data shourcuts?

for example under surface if you right click on the surface you have so there you can chose to remove the surface from there which make the whole file disapear and need to get back o the origional file to get the shorcut from it again. So i was wondering if there is a way o remove acessing this funktion so no one can accidently remove the file?

Namnlös.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: hahmad

The only way I can think of doing this is to set the Working Folder to something different so that it does not show up under the Data Shortcuts.  I do not work in a production environment, so I have never tested if the Working Folder is drawing specific or machine specific.  My guess is that it is machine specific.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8
hahmad
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I tried to do that now but when i change the working set he whole data shourtcuts information dissapears, isnt there any way to go throw settings to limit user acessebility of such stuff
Message 4 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

No option for this that I am aware of.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 8
neilyj666

You'd have to be pretty clumsy with your mouse to "accidentally" use this function....;)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 8
ericcollins6932
in reply to: neilyj666

One who removes a data shortcut without a good rationale (temporary, obsolete) doesn't understand why they are there. Sounds like an education session is in order.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 7 of 8
doni49
in reply to: ericcollins6932

There's no OOTB opttion to do this (AFAIK) but it might be worth exploring options available via extensions.

I'd suggest asking this over in the C3D customization forum.  There's a larger concentration of people who do this type of customization over there.

I'm just getting started with using the APIs so I can't tell you if the required code is exposed (made available for customizers to make the desired change).  But someone with experience should know.

P.S. here's a link to the forum.  And who knows -- someone might be able to point you to an add-in that already does it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Customization/bd-p/190

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 8
Hidden_Brain

there is a variable called SHORTCUTNODE. if you set it to zero, the entire section of data shortcuts disappears from the prospector. I am not sure if the existing shortcutted objects still work or not, I assume they will.

You could add a line to the C3D startup on the machines where you do not want the data shortcut folder to show up. If they cannot see it, they cannot remove it 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report