Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leica FlexOffice FBK Support

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
amdomag
4178 Views, 11 Replies

Leica FlexOffice FBK Support

I browsed well Leica's website and I found nothing except for Leica TPS1200 series. I suppose that US (as an Autodesk FBK nation) users do have FBK utillity supplied by Leica. Can anybody directs me on where to go? Leica Switzerland and Leica Singapore cannot address the issue so I gues referring to US users is a logical thing to do.

I do have my own utility of automatically converting observation data into na FBK format but the feeling of dissatisfaction is still there.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rl_jackson
in reply to: amdomag

Would you also be utilizing the Leica Surv CE Data Collection Software, If so that's a Carlson Product. You could export as RW5 (which can be converted using Survey Link) or ASCII. Or you could go to the Carlson Site for the C3D conversion software. Edited by: rl_jackson on Feb 19, 2010 2:16 PM

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
amdomag

All options you mentioned are based on backsight orientation which is normally azimuth based. Let me clarify further the issue. Azimuth based traverse is the most common method adopted in the field simply because it provides quick checking ability on the part of the instrument man. In view of this, ZD VA is the most appropriate corresponding survey command in the FBK. This method is only good if you start your survey work from a well stablished baseline. Unfortunately, there are many cases where you start from an assumed baseline and fixed later by GPS. If you tell me to use survey translate command instead, this method is only applicable for the entire survey database and not for a specific segment within a traverse. The most effective approach is to base your zero angle from the backsight line. Unfortunately, this method is not friendly in the field. To cut the story short, the angle data you downloaded from the instrument is the angle used in RW5 counterpart and no conversion is talking place along the process. In other words, your ZD VA, or AD VA or whatever has no dynamic link with the angle data you're donwloading from the instrument. Meaning, do your thing at your own risk.

Arnel M. Domag
nth geographics and geometrics
Message 4 of 12
AllenJessup

When you convert the RW5 to FBK what value do you get as the BS? We use 0 00 00 as the backsight but it specifies that angle in the backsight information.
I ran a crew for almost 20 years and can't remember running a traverse by azimuth. We only used azimuth when we had a stakeout program that gave us the bearing or azimuth and distance to a point. Azimuths were easier to work with so that's what we used until we got software that gave angel right. I haven't quite grasped what you mean by "quick checking ability" or that the zero backsight is "not friendly in the field". As I said I worked with that for many year.
I'm appending the heading from an FBK created from an RW5 so you can see what I'm talking about.
Allen
JOB HYENGA ! DT09-28-2009 TM10:30:43
UNIT USFOOT DMS
EDM OFFSET 0.0000
SCALE FACTOR 1.0000000
HORIZ ANGLE RIGHT
VERT ANGLE ZENITH
! SurvCE Version 1.50.010
! CRD: Alphanumeric
! Equipment: Leica Robotic Total Station
! TS Scale: 1.00000000
! EDM Mode: Fast
! LOCATION:HYENGA LAKE
NEZ 1 827492.4570 620621.7650 356.2600 "N&W.MAC"
NEZ 2 827452.1770 620266.6600 367.7260 "N&W.CONC.WALK"
! P.C. mm Applied: 23.1000
STN 1 5.630 "N&W.MAC"
PRISM 5.470
AZ 1 2 263.31430
BS 2 0.00000
! Calculated: AR0°00'00", HD357.382, Z367.726
! Measured: AR0°00'00", HD357.479, Z367.723
! Delta: AR0°00'00", HD0.096, Z-0.003
PRISM 13.500

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
amdomag

This is what I mean of quick checking ability. On board a total station is the ability to calculate residual values based on calculated coordinates. Those coordinates can not be readily computed if all of your backsight lines are tuned to zero angle in order to effect a right sweeping angle from the backsigt line. If this is the method adopted in the field, then I have no problem with FBK. It fact, it is a straightforward thing. All I have to do is to prepare a a format and have it uploaded to the total station such that in every downloading, FBK is there. To my opinion, employing the azimuth based traverse is a lot convenient for the survey crew simply because checking is a lot easier to perform.

In view of this, there is a lot of work to do in coverting Azimuth angles to Right Sweeping Angle from the Backsight Line in order to effectively utilize the AD VA feature of FBK. If azimuth method is employed in the field, then the ZD VA is the corresponding FBK feature to utilize. Meaning, converting ZD VA to AD VA is a lot of work. This is the reason why out of frustration, I developed my own utility to convert ZD VA to AD VA. The utlity is doing fine for many years alreadly but as I had mentioned, the feeling of dissatisfaction is there. I do believe that it should be Leica who will do that for us simply because they have the full control of their product. Yes, they have the TPS1200 FBK support but unfortunately, I am a TPS300, TPS400, TPS800, and Flexline user. I strongly disagree of Leica's cosideration of TPS300 to Flexline users as second class customers. We do deserve it.

By the way, that is from the point of view of a surveyor from the Philippines. I guess we do not share same surveying methods but I am pretty sure we do share same books and authors.

Arnel M. Domag
nth geographics and geometrics
Message 6 of 12
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

This is a lite version of LGO
will export in *.rw5, point, FBK formats

http://www.leicaadvantage.com/support/TPS1200/TPS_LGO_Tools.cfm
Message 7 of 12
Bennos1

Leica have a free download - Leica X change . I use a leica 1200 and it is the best way to get any design out of C3d and straight into the instrument. It is an add-on so it runs from c3d. It think it you need to be using dbx files, so not sure if the 400 runs on those?
Its great for getting road design out.

Ben
Message 8 of 12
dlovell

Hi There, 

I am wonderin if you have come up with any solution to the matter?

We are very frustrated when resections in the field have so many errors in the fbk file?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Allan

Message 9 of 12
MATRIX3DSURVEYS
in reply to: dlovell

To use all of the capabilities of the instrument you need to use LGO (LeicaGeo Office) to process the data. The *.rw5 and *.fbk file formats are from TDS and Softdesk in the mid 1980's the software does not understand the capabilities of modern instruments. To use the free station methods (Smart Station GPS, Resections, mixed GPS and TPS) you need to use the instrument manufactures software. Process and adjust in LGO and export in PXYZDA..csv format and import into C3D and apply description keys. CODELISTS  in instrument and in C3D must match exactly for point codes and line work.

Or you can process the data in the instrument and export a point file. (But you can only edit Control Points)

The Softdesk engine processes a simple Plate Angle Survey. It does not understand mixed TPS and GPS surveys, Resections, Reciprocal Leveling, Solar Leep Frog, Triangulation.

Jim

AC3.0 - IDS 2015, LGO8, Move3

Leica System 1200 TCR1200P+SmartStation, GPS1230gg Rovers and Base

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 10 of 12

LeicaGeo Office

Right there is my problem they have locked everything to buy this it will solve your problem........  

Not necessary with standard US methods

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

If you know so much you should tech it

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
allanbsteven
in reply to: rl_jackson

Civil3D comes out each year with updates and extras (none that i can think of in the survey package), surley it would be in Autodesks best interest to keep up with the Technology of the instruments......A no brainer to me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report