Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learned a valuable lesson regarding Xrefs & labels today

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Jeff_M
649 Views, 7 Replies

Learned a valuable lesson regarding Xrefs & labels today

I have a number of design drawings, some Xref'ed into others, and since these designs get xrefed themselves into the production drawing, many of the xrefs are Attached, whereas some are overlays. I normally keep these preet clear as to whicj is which. I was happily working away in my site grading which has the storm drain pipe network drawing xref attached. I realized I needed to see some of the information contained in my Roads drawing in the grading plan. No problem, xref it. Oh, yeah, now I have the storm drain showing twice since that drawing is also xref attached to the road drawing. No problem, it was just for visual use up to that point, so I deleted the attached xref from the grading drawing. Now the Pipe drawing is shown just once. Perfect. I complete the grading design and start adding labels for the drainage inlets and pipes, using the Xref to label. Some time later I finish up adjusting all 250+/- labels, save the drawing, open the production drawing with the layouts, title blocks, details, into which said grading plan is xref'ed, and, wait, no labels on the drainage, oh, no pipoe network shown either. WTH? I look in the xrefs, and the pipe drawing is not listed. I go back to the grading drawing, and all is still good there. So I look in the XREF Manager, the Pipes drawing is now being shown as Overlay. I can't change it because it is a nested xref from the Roads drawing, in which is is still shown as Attached. So somehow, when I had Xref'ed the roads drawing containing the attached Pipe xref into my drawing already containing an attached Pipe drawing, the nested one was changed to Overlay...with no way to change it back. Even after I removed the original one, I could not ever get it to change. I 'fixed' it by importing all of the layouts and details into the Grading drawing, and turning it into a design/production drawing. 

I hope this excercise in nested Xrefs helps someone else avoid the costly mistake I made....costly in that I spent ~2 hours trying to figure out how it happened and what I could do about it.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff.

An important message indeed. I'll add it to my already lengthy list of why civil drawings should not use nested xrefs

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thanks so much for sharing that Jeff. I'm going to write that scenario up relating to the work that we do and perhaps do a lunch-n-learn to show our staff what happens.  It's such a valuable tool to share that knowledge here as well as asking questions when we encounter a problem.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 4 of 8
neilyj666

Is the conclusion to this to use Overlays only??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

I think the conlusion is yours to make. All I could say is in 20 years I have experienced nothing but headaches, aggrivation and corrupt project files whenever xref nesting has been used. I forbid it.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: neilyj666

No, I will still use nested xrefs (why xref my topo drawing into 30 Plan sheets when I can attach it once to the design drawing which is already xref'ed to those sheets?), I will just be much more careful about it. Until yesterday, I have never run into an issue with nested xrefs, and I've been using them since Xrefs were introduced way back when.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 8
mathewkol

Ecellent.  Thanks, Jeff.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 8
Joe-Bouza

My xrefs are set in my prototype. When I maket a desin file or a sheet file all the needed xrefs are already there as overlays. Users can unload anything they dont need. It may not be the right way but it works for me

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report