Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layout Profiles left and right

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
hmartinez5
3892 Views, 9 Replies

Layout Profiles left and right

Hello to all,

Our firm has finally decided to leave LDC 2009 behind and moving to C3D 2012.

With that being said, I would like to ask a few questions about the way plan and profiles are created with C3D.

In LDC, we would create a full profile that included everything in it, that is proposed and existing centerline elevations and left and right top of curb elevations. Then on the sheet layouts, we would make many viewports that showed the proposed and existing sets, that is centers, lefts and rights. (medians in the example attached)

I've been watching many online videos on how to sample center, left and right and how to create a proposed center line but I can't figure out how to make a proposed left and right profile so that I can control drainage into existing inlets.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mathewkol
in reply to: hmartinez5

There is no such thing as a left or right profile.  They are all just "Profiles"  You've already created a CL profile, just create another profile and name it Left or Right.  Have you taken any training yet?

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 10
hmartinez5
in reply to: mathewkol

We have started the training and covered some of the basics but we are not there yet as a company. I have, however, been  working with the software on my own by searching for posts and videos to see how it is supposed to work. I understand that from the Center line profile, C3D attaches an assembly and runs it along to produce a corridor. What I don't understand, is how do I edit the corridor to change streets from 2% crowned to 2% superelevated and show those new top of curb elevations on a profile.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

You can either create your left and right (top of curb left and right sides) profiles as you did at the prposed centerline or if you build your road assembly and corridor and create a surface from the corridor.  You can extract your profile from the design surface.  But if you are new to Civil3D, like the previous post said you will need some traiining or you can look into the tutorials to see if you can find what you are looking for there.

Message 5 of 10
mathewkol

Your questions seem simple enough, but there is actually a lot going on in there; many techniques to learn to be able to do what you need.  The techniques can be quite similar to Land Desktop, but the tools are quite different.

For example,

• I'm not sure how familiar you are with corridors, this will affect any answers
  • Are you planning on designing your top of curb, or does the superelevaiton happen from some design criteria, this opens up 2 new cans of worms
  • You want 2% crowned - this is just simply creating an assembly with 2% lanes
  • You want 2% super - edit your alignment and apply superelevation
  • You want to show top of curb profiles. - extract corridor profiles

Matt Kolberg
Message 6 of 10
hmartinez5

Thanks for the feed back.

I have tried some of the suggestions but I have a simple question that can answer alot of questions.

How do I make a profile on an existing profile view with an offset?

Message 7 of 10
mathewkol

When you're creating a ground profile, select "Sample offset"

sample.png

Matt Kolberg
Message 8 of 10
hmartinez5
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the help, I finally understood that you can just attach a profile to a corridor regardless of its horizontal offset. Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

As Matt pointed out you have to check sample offsets.

Once you check that box you can type your offsets (positive for right of alignment and negative for left of alignment) ex. 16,-16. After you type that in you have to click add. This will add your centerline alignment and your specified sample offsets to the box at the bottom.

Now you click Draw In Profile View.

In the next box there is a check box at the bottom about stacking your left, center and right profile views together.

This has been a standard view of profiles for at least the last 16 years I've been drafting profiles.

I hope this helps anyone that comes across this in the future or anyone that returns to this post 🙂

Message 10 of 10
shameem4u

Hallo,

As I am new to Civil 3D can you help me to sort out the following. 

I create "Sample offset", on either side of the center line, Now I need to add these values in profile as a new band and find the variation from center line EG. In total I have to add 4 new bands as mentioned below.

Sample offset left

Sample offset Right

Variation to Right

Variation to Left

Regards

Shameem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report