Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layout Panel in Civil3D 2013

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bim_andyreid
1457 Views, 6 Replies

Layout Panel in Civil3D 2013

I tried to use the new Layout tools and couldn't find them. I've since discovered that the "modeldoc.cuix" file was not included in my Civil3D 2013 installation. Should it have been? I understood that the Civil3D package included all the functionality of AutoCAD so I had assumed this would be there.

To clarify, I am running Civil3D 2013 with Hotfix 2 installed and there is no Modeldoc.cuix in my C:\Users\Andy\appdata\roaming\autodesk\c3d 2013\enu\support\ folder.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: bim_andyreid

I've seen several things in AutoCAD that aren't available in Civil 3D via the user interface. This being a perfect example (array context sensitive ribbon tab another). I have the Infrastructure Design Suite so I was able to launch AutoCAD and see the Layout tools but when I launch Civil 3D or Civil 3D as AutoCAD I don't see them.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: bim_andyreid

Hi Andy,

With the introduction of Model Documentation (2012), we resellers can no longer tell customers that Civil 3D has "all" the features of AutoCAD, but don't despair. It is highly likely that you wouldn't use ModelDoc anyway, unless you are modeling using AutoCAD solids. 

ModelDoc takes 3D models, either created using AutoCAD solid modeling tools or by importing a solid model file from another format, and then creates the various views -- top, front, isometric, etc. -- required for output.

ModelDoc doesn't work with Civil 3D Objects. You must be using AutoCAD solid modeling objects like LoftedSurface, 3DSolid, etc. If at least one of the correct objects types does not exist in the current drawing, you will be presented a dialog. Using just Civil 3D objects, you will always get the dialog.

I would be curious to hear from you if you are using AutoCAD solid modeling and for what project types.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
bim_andyreid
in reply to: tcorey

Hi Tim. Thanks for the insight on this. For your interest, in our business we do survey, titling, design and planning as well as basic civil design. Until now Civil3D generally covered our needs. We do happen to do solid modeling as part of our planning process; primarily preliminary volumetric (3d) surveys related to towers, complex mixed-use developments and also bridges. Having these new layout tools would definitely save a few keystrokes and scratched heads.

I guess we'll need to update a few of these licenses to Infrastructure Suites to access this missing functionality.

With that said, I'm glad I found this out before deploying C3D 2013 to the masses with the promises of new features not available in the software. I'll dig a little further now to see what else is missing.

Many thanks for the advice.

A

Message 5 of 7
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: tcorey

Tim,

I know you are only a reseller, but what about the corridor solids tool?

Seems pointless making this tool available and taking away the modeldoc tools that could use the solids.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 6 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

I think the point of corridor solids is twofold:

1. Create an object type that is easy to use in other applications, Navisworks, in particular.

2. Create an object that can be queried using MassProp command.

I guess it would be nice if ModelDoc were in Civil 3D, because, yes, ModelDoc will use CorridorSolids, but the views you get are basic Top, Front, Left, ISO, etc. When you're working with Corridors, don't you want section views at intervals? It's way faster to use the regular Civil 3D tools for this that it would be to create corridor solids and then create a hundred section views.

Possibly you just want to show a few sections at select locations, but I would still be inclined to use Civil 3D tools.

All that said, you're right, I am only a reseller and don't speak for Autodesk. Maybe we can get Mr. Simeone or one of his esteemed colleagues to chime in?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 7

We use Autocad 3D solids for our structural details. It would have been nice to at least have the option to use the new tools.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report