AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Valued Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (121 Views)

Layer not what it appears to be

121 Views, 2 Replies
04-26-2012 09:10 AM

At this time, this is my biggest complaint with Civil 3D: My drawing has many layers and overlapping objects and it's necessary to use layer manager constantly. Therefore, I will only have layers on that I need at any given time. So I'm working on a corridor, and I create temporary alignment station/offset labels. I have a style whose layer is, let's say XYZ. In the drawing I'm on layer 0. I place the label, and it does not display. After turning on all layers, and searching throught the congestion and finally locating my label. I click on it, and properties says it's on layer 0. My style says it's on layer XYZ, but by process of elimination, I find that it's on the layer of the alignment. Does anyone have a work-around that would make this simpler? I understand about default layers under "edit drawing settings", but do I have to change this everytime I create an object or text? I would love to be able to override the default layer.

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 2 of 3 (101 Views)

Re: Layer not what it appears to be

04-26-2012 01:50 PM in reply to: randyowens3203

Change your styles to be on layer 0, then your objects will inhert the properties of the current layer, much like blocks. You can control what defualt layers the objects get created on by going to Drawing Settings and looking in the Object Layer tab.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
Valued Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (88 Views)

Re: Layer not what it appears to be

04-27-2012 05:09 AM in reply to: IanMcClain

That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs