Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer State Save and Restore

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mcloughlin
987 Views, 8 Replies

Layer State Save and Restore

So I set up a layer state called "0 plot" and save it.  In this state, the point layer is turned off such that the point marker (yellow circle) shows, but the point label does not (top view in appended JPG), and the layer state (red marking) is labeled "Current layer state: 0 plot".

Then I need to view the point label for a moment, so I turn the point layer on; the label appears.  

Here's the weird part: when I want to "restore" the "0 plot" layer state, I select it and click "restore," and LO!  The point labels remain on, and I am given a "Current layer state *UNSAVED*".  

I would have hoped the layer state would have returned to "0 plot" upon clicking "restore," but no such luck.  This happens with all of our attempts to save layer states, which we prefer to be consistent between model space and paperspace viewports as well.  

What am I doing wrong in not being able to restore a saved layer state?

Thanks.  

Layer States 3 17 Mar 2014.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: mcloughlin

If you use VPFreeze or LAYFRZ with VPFreeze set in viewports. Then restoring a Layout layerstate in modelspace will yield inconsistent results. If you want a layerstate to work in both model and paper space. You can't use VPFreeze.

I'm not 100% sure this is your problem. But it looks like it from your screen shots. I notice that 0 Plot is your only Layout layerstate and having Unsaved as the current layerstate after restoring a layout layerstate in modelspace is expected results.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

I think they can work together. What you need to do is set up the vport with the vpfreeze command so you see what you need. Once the viwport is set go to the layer manager and sort the layers by the VPFreeze column. Select all the layers that are frozen in the vport and now freeze them globally. Save the layer state and it will work in MS & PS.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yeah, John. It requires 2 named layerstates. You have to have a modelspace that equals the paperspace. Nice way of creating it though. Another option is not to use VPFreeze. If you use the standard Freeze command the layerstates would restore equally in both spaces. But I don't recommend that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
mcloughlin

I think I wasn't clear. What I'm trying to do is, I'm trying to create a layer state IN MODEL SPACE in which all layers to show for both the full-scale and the detail viewports that are in PAPER SPACE. Then I want to be able to return to PAPER SPACE and use the VP Freeze to freeze or display the appropriate layers for each viewport in PAPER SPACE. I used to be able to do this - create a layer state in Model Space and then sort for each viewport in Paper Space and have the resultant sort be stable, whether or not I had to open or close other layers in the future. I was always able to simply pick "restore," and my originally-set named layer state that I'd made in Model Space would return as created. No longer. This layer state does not seem to be remain stable through periods of work, closings and re-openings of the drawing, etc., as once layer states did.
Message 6 of 9
Jay_B

Is the example dwg I posted over in This almost identical thread not what your trying to accomplish?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 9
mcloughlin
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you, Jay B, for the response.  That drawing of yours does show the scenario that I describe.  My problem is that (with many more layers) the saved layer state does not seem to be stable, i.e., if some other layer is opened in model space and then closed again, this latter layer suddenly appears when the "restore" function is used, even though said layer was not intended to be visible in the originally intended layer state.  I know I'm making some error in "saving" the layer state in model space, thus producing this instability in saved layer states, but I can't seem to isolate this error. 

Message 8 of 9
AllenJessup

Does this happen with all layers or just those associated with Civil 3D Objects?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
mcloughlin

Allen J, this happens with any layers, seemingly unpredictably. For example, I have a viewport layer, 0_Model Space, that I prefer to keep turned off. Consequently, the 0 Plot layerstate is set with this viewport layer turned off. If I need to create a viewport, I turn on and make current the O_Model Space layer, MVIEW to create a viewport, then attempt to restore the 0 Plot layer state. No go. The viewport layer remains on, and the entire layer state must be reset to turn it off again. Formerly, if we set a layer state, we could turn all manner of layers on and off, and then pick the subject layer state, click RESTORE, and the set state returned. Now there appears to be no stability, either for Civil 3D objects or any others. What are we doing wrong?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report