Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Properties Manager "freezes" and is unresponsive

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Eisenlords
1183 Views, 3 Replies

Layer Properties Manager "freezes" and is unresponsive

I usually work with my LPM hidden on the Left side of my screen and hover over the window when i need to edit a layer or switch filters. every now and then when I'm working on a drawing the LPM will "freeze". At first it seems responsive, and i can click and interact with layers, however any changes i make do not appear on the drawing itself. then i try to change layer filters, for example from one XREF to another and the LPM appears to change filters but the list of layers does not update. The layer manager will stay in this broken sort of frozen state until I close the window and reopen it - then it works just fine. I can usually tell it is "frozen" when i have edited a drawing and brought in a new XREF and then go to change the layer filter and the XREF isn't even listed in the LPM because it is frozen and will not update. the refresh command in the upper right corner does not work either.

This problem seems to be random and doesn't consistently happen. I notice it occur when switching between drawings when i have multiple files open. i have to close and reopen the layer manager and then i can edit layers for a while. Sometimes the problem gets so bad that no matter how many times i close and reopen the manager it will not respond and then I need to restart my computer. 

Windows 7. AutoCAD Civil 3d 2013. I use two monitors.

I'm looking for a more permanent fix to this problem because it can really hamper my drafting efficiency when acting up. I will attach a screen shot of what it looks like when it happens again. of course when i go to make this post it is working perfectly fine. XD 

thank you

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: Eisenlords

I don't have 2013 so I can't try and reproduce the issue.  But if you can provide some more detail, it might help someone troubleshoot this with you.

1. How much ram?
  2. What kind of CPU?
  3. 32 or 64 bit?
  4. Does it do this with just one file/project?  Or is it more widespread?
  5. Have someone ELSE login to your machine (or YOU could login under a diff username -- same thing).  Does it do this?
  6. Try doing this one someone else's machine but with your file.  Does the problem occur there?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: doni49

And...

- is the right monitor the system primary monitor and the left one the secondary monitor?

- does this still happen if the layer palette is on the other monitor?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
Eisenlords
in reply to: doni49

64 Bit operating system. 

only 8 GB Ram.

Intel core i5-2540m CPU @2.60GHz 

I place the AutoCAD application on my right computer screen (secondary monitor) and i place all of my tools/windows on the left monitor, the main screen. 

It is not specific to any drawing. I have had others open my files with no problems and I have not been able to reproduce the problem on a seperate machine. I think it may be related to Ram now that you mention it. The problem seems to be worse/ more frequent if I have multiple drawings open and have been working in cad for a while. The next time it happens i'll make a note of how much Ram CAD has consumed at that point. When CAD is open i am typically operating at 40 to 50% usage, but it can creep up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report