Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Manager - Color Settings

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
ccampbell
9258 Views, 22 Replies

Layer Manager - Color Settings

I have a file where the layer manager does not seam to be contorling the bylayer color settings.  When I change the color in the layer manager everything seams to work fine.  But when I try to creat objects on this layer they we not use the color that I set.  They use the original color that the layer was set to.  In the ribbon the color default is set to by layer.  One interesting thing is that when I pull down the layer menu in the ribbon it will show the old color.  in fact the work around is to change the layer color from this menu and not the layer manager.  This is the only drawing I have that exhibits this behavior.  Does anyone know of a system variable that would cause this or is this just a coruption of this file.  (I ran audit, closed autcad and restarted, verified that all objects are set to manage colors bylayer, default ribbon palets are set to bylayer)

Thank 

Curt

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: ccampbell

can you try typing COLOR at commandline, and in that box setting the color to BYLAYER?

Message 3 of 23
ccampbell

In the end I repaired my instalation and the offending behavior ceased.

Thanks for the help.

Curt

Message 4 of 23
shaneelliss

This is happening to me as well.  Something like this happens to one person, it is a fluke.  Happens to more than one, it is a bug.

Message 5 of 23
ccampbell
in reply to: shaneelliss

OK - so the behavior started back up again.  If I toggle some of the layer settings (top right button in the layer manager) I can get it to act appropriately for the current session.  Once I re-open AutoCAD the behavior is back.  So for now I am just dealing with it.  No solution yet.

Message 6 of 23
shaneelliss

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Message 7 of 23
wfberry

I personally think you guys are doing something wrong.

Why not start with giving some computer and Civil 3D version information including SP, OS,  etc.

Bill

Message 8 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: wfberry

In C3D2012, Layer Properties Manager Palette. Choose a layer, change an existing layer's color (use the current layer to test), draw a line, the line will display the original color of the layer. Go back to LPMP, the layer shows the new color still, now go to the Layer panel on the Ribbon, that will show the old color, change the color here and the line previously drawn will change to the correct color.

The 2012 LPMP has an issue with setting colors. I've heard (on the Acad 2012 forum) that this only happens in some drawings for many people, for others it is in any drawing. I've noticed it a number of times, but not enough to know if it is just one drawing or many.

Sager "Notebook" NP7280, i7-960@3.20, 12GB, 128gb SSD, 500gb 7200rpm HDD, nVidia GeForce GTX 470M, Win7 Pro x64

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 23
ccampbell

Windows 7 x 64

8 GB of RAM 

i7 @ 2.93 GHz

Civil 3d 2012

Bill, 

I am in 4 seperate discussion groups for this issue (2 at Autodesk and to third party) no one has a solution that works.  I know that It is happening in ACAD LT, Civil 3D, ACAD and MAP.  I've worked with the past 9 versions of autocad and I have never seen this behavior.  I have reinstalled with no luck.  I have tried several workarounds and numerous tricks, nothing fixes the behavior.  I have even read that some people have just changed the way they work to avoid it.  I do not think that it was the intention of autocad to keep me from using the layer manager to set layer colors.  As of now i have to create the layer in the layer manager then go to the drop down box in the ribbon to set the color. I can not change the color of the layer in the layor manager.  if i double click on the color box the color pallet comes up, I select a new color, press ok.  The layer color in the layer manger shows the color I want, but any item i draw on that layer will com up with the color that was default when th layer was created.  if i check the drop down in the ribbon the color will be the original layer color and not the color that is assigned in the layer manager.  Please tell me what i am doing wrong.

Curt

Message 10 of 23
shaneelliss

Intel Core2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, Radeon X1300Pro graphics card, Windows xp sp3

If I create a new layer, I cannot change the color of that layer from the default color in the layer propertiess manager.  It acts like it will let me change the color and will show the new layer color in the layer properties manager, but when I draw on that layer, it draws using the original layer color.  Same story if I try to change the color on an existing layer.  It won't change the color using the layer properties manager.  To create a new layer with the color I want, I have started finding an existing layer that already has the color I want the new layer to have, making that layer active, then creating a new layer.  This makes the new layer color default to whatever the active layer color is.  That way I can get the right color.  From reading the comments above, it looks like I can try changing the color in the ribbon also, but it is a pain not to be able to manage the layer color from the layer properties manager.

It is curious that this isn't more of a widely known issue, but maybe because so many people already have styles set up with all their layers and colors set up, many people have not noticed the problem.  This only happens in C3D 2012 for me.

Message 11 of 23
wfberry

Curt:

I must confess that I normally use shortcut keyboard entries.

La

C

R (Red)

If I am on the layer that I want to change color, I use the above.  No way can I open up the Manager and do it that quick.

Bill

Message 12 of 23
klkindopp

We just bought Civil 3D Ultimate Suite.

I am having the same problem, just started having the problem last night.

Very Frustating.

The ribbon shows the old color while the manager shows the new.

It will only draw the old color and keeps changing it in the manager, back to the original color.

It might have somewthing to do with copying and renaming layernames.

But it sounds like it is not just me.

Kim Kindopp

Durable Innovations Inc.

Message 13 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: klkindopp

This has been happening to me regularly - I close the Layer Propoerty manager and then reopen and it seems to then accept the new colour

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 23
mip
Community Visitor

I had similar problem. Found out that it was because the layer name included "@" (had it there to sort this layer at the top). After deleting the "@" I could succesfully change the layer color and after that add the "@" to the layer name again.

Message 15 of 23
dmills

I had similar problem when using "#" symbol within a layer name.

Message 16 of 23
shunter62

I am having the same problem. I need to remember to preset the layer I want to use prior to initiating a command. For example, if I want to clip a viewport, I need to set the current layer to VP and then proceed. If I clip in another layer, its color, linetype, etc. will persist after I change it to the VP layer, even if I change it in the full properties window. I might try the old Change command and use the command line menu to see if that works, although I don't hold out much hope. MATCHPROP does not change the entity, either.

The Color/BYLAYER command does not change the situation nor does the old time-honored lisp of (expletive) at the command line. The only effective change to the correct proerties of the layer is through the small layer properties box on the home ribbon. This problem was not there in previous releases that I can recall. I hope someone comes up with a solution. Thanks.

C3D 2012, SP 1, 8G ram, Dell Precision 480, Windows 7 Pro. Don't think the problem is in the OS.

Susan H

Message 17 of 23
dmills

Susan H

By default AutoCAD Layer names cannot include the following characters:

<   >   /   \  “   :   ;   ?   *   |   =   ‘

I had recently created a new layer and had used a # symbol within the name. When I changed the color of this new layer the existing graphics and text did not change to the new layer color, but remained the original color when the layer was created.  I could not figure out what was wrong. I assumed that I had inadvertently changed something within AutoCAD.  I then found MIP’s reply (see Message 14 of 16) about the use of @ symbol.  So by using @ or # symbol within a layer name seems to create a pseudo lock on the original color of the layer at its creation.   With all of this in mind, I have tried the other remaining keyboard characters   !   @   #   $   %   ^   &   (   )   -   _   +   ~   [   ]   {   }   and have also found that the [ symbol also creates the same issue.  Remove the culprit symbol from the layer name, then change the layer color to a different color and you will see graphics and/or text on your layer change to the appropriate layer color within the Layer Manager.

Doug M

Doug M

Message 18 of 23
shunter62
in reply to: dmills

I don't ever use special characters in my layer names other than the hyphen or underscore, so that is not necessarily where my issue lies. Special characters could be a part of the problem for other users, though. I guess we have to keep digging. Thanks.

Message 19 of 23
MarySeufert
in reply to: shunter62

I read this in another forum... as you are creating your new layer make sure you hit the return key or pick in white space after changing the name. If the New Layer's name is still in the editing mode when you try to change the color, the color change will not stick. ~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 20 of 23
shunter62
in reply to: MarySeufert

That's a great tip to remember. I remember that trick from a while back. Thanks for the reminder. However, the problem is not restricted to just new layers but any layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report