AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Mentor
PorterCAD
Message 1 of 16 (1,898 Views)

Lat-Long label doesn't work (Civil 3D 2013)

1898 Views, 15 Replies
08-22-2012 07:39 PM

In Civil 3D 2013 > Settings tab > General > Label Sytles > Note . . .create a new label style that will label the latitude and longitute of a location in your drawing.  Assign your drawing a coordinate system.  Now label  a point in your drawing with the newly created Lat-Long label.  Tell me if it works.  I've not had any luck with it.  I can do it fine in Civil 3D 2012, but no matter what I do (old drawing, new drawing, any template) it just doesn't seem to work in Civil 3D 2013. 

Thanks for any input,

Jason

Jason Porter
Enceptia Technical Advisor & Civil Solutions Blogger
http://enceptia.com/author/jporter/
*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 2 of 16 (1,895 Views)

Re: Lat-Long label doesn't work (Civil 3D 2013)

08-22-2012 08:10 PM in reply to: PorterCAD

I reported this to tech support about a week after the program was released. Other labels seem to work but the general note label doesn't.

Mentor
PorterCAD
Message 3 of 16 (1,891 Views)

08-22-2012 08:26 PM in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian,

I wanted to post it here before I reported it to Autodesk to see anyone had any luck.  I appreciate your reply.  I, too, will report it to Autodesk. 

Thanks again,

Jason

Jason Porter
Active Contributor
davidrenaud3020
Message 4 of 16 (1,745 Views)

11-21-2012 06:34 AM in reply to: PorterCAD

I have the same problem. This is the contents of what I want to label:

Lat.<[Surface Latitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
Lon.<[Surface Longitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
Ground El.<[Surface Elevation(Uft|P1|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>

Another user in our office ran into the same problem. He was able to work around it by copying a Lat/Lon lable style from a previous version (2102) drawing that we knew it worked. The code used in that label was:

<[Surface Elevation(Uft|P3|RN|Sn|OF|AP|GC|UN)]>
<[Surface Latitude(Udeg|FDMSdSp|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
<[Surface Longitude(Udeg|FDMSdSp|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>

This is not working for me in my drawing. I have the coordinate system set in Wisconsin County Coordinates, Rock County, but switched to State Plane to see if poking at it would make a difference. It did not, no matter which coordinate system I have set, and it doesn't matter if I set it by right clicking the drawing name on the Settings tab, or do it by using the Map menu commands, the label doesn't work. 

This is kind of screwing me - I need the data for an FAA report. AT this point, since I no onger have 2012 installed inb this machine, I will use a Trimble product to convert the points I need latitude and longitude. This needs to be addressed.

dr

Dell Precision

Windows 7

C3D 2012

everything is capable and up to date.

Mentor
PorterCAD
Message 5 of 16 (1,735 Views)

11-21-2012 08:04 AM in reply to: davidrenaud3020

After speaking with someone at Autodesk I was informed that this is known glitch in Civil 3D 2013. 

JP

Jason Porter
Active Contributor
davidrenaud3020
Message 6 of 16 (1,729 Views)

11-21-2012 08:15 AM in reply to: PorterCAD

Any work arounds that anyone knows of yet? I am trying labels from ealrier versions, need to get this thing out today. My alternative to to convert using other software and putting the positions into an Mtext object. Which kinda blows ....

reno

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 7 of 16 (1,732 Views)

11-21-2012 08:27 AM in reply to: davidrenaud3020

davidrenaud3020 wrote:

Any work arounds that anyone knows of yet?

reno

Create a Surface for labeling. Draw a polyline around the extents of the area you need to label. Give the surface a no display, or display just the border. Create a surface elevation label style which has just the surface latitude and surface longitude in the text component. Label spot elevations of that surface using the LatLong elevation label style.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Active Contributor
davidrenaud3020
Message 8 of 16 (1,728 Views)

11-21-2012 08:35 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff. I tried that, it's in the code I posted above to get the surface lat/lon, and it doesn't work for me.

I've tried labeling just a spot that has nothing to do with a surface - no joy.

I think I am going to convert using some other software and get into into Mtext or Multileaders before I burn up my Christmas bonus ($40 in a good year) in blown budget time. 

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 9 of 16 (1,726 Views)

11-21-2012 08:37 AM in reply to: davidrenaud3020

The spot must lie within the surface....

You can also use points and label their LatLong. 

I've used both methods successfully in 2013.

Oh, and, of course, the drawing must have a coordinate system set.

Using the Zone you mentioned above:

11-21-2012 8-44-39 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Active Contributor
davidrenaud3020
Message 10 of 16 (1,718 Views)

11-21-2012 08:47 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Yeah, it labels the surface elevation when I am on the surface, but does not come up with data for the lat/lon - the place where they would be are simply blank.

I have also tried this code:

Lat.<[Latitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>
Lon.<[Longitude(Udeg|FDMSd|P6|RN|DPSn|CU|AP|EN|DZN|OF)]>

which is just for any old point, but it doesn't work either. I wonder of it has something to do with the coordinate system I am using. In Wisconsin we have County coordinates - each County has its own system in order to eliminate grid to ground distortion. But, Autodesk has had our county systems listed as options for the definition for many years, so I have a hard time believing that all the sudden it woudl be broken.

I just tried it in a drawing that I had a USGS image in UTM Zone 16, Meters, and it doesn't work in there either.

Something fishy is going on. I have used this label for years, and for years in Land Desktop before that, and it has never not worked.

Thanks for yournput Jeff. Maybe I should mail you the drawing so you can label it for me  :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs