Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop options for Civil 3d 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
onealec
482 Views, 6 Replies

Laptop options for Civil 3d 2013

I know this one has been asked plenty of times, but figured i'll throw it out there....

I'm looking to run Civil3d on a new laptop. I found this Toshiba.  Seemed to fit the bill as far as system requirements go.  The only thing I'm not positive about is if Civil 3d 2013 will run with Windows 8 smoothly and if the graphics card is good enough. Here's the info...

Toshiba Qosmia (model X75A7170)

Processor: Intel 4th Gen Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.4GHz (w. turbo boost to 3.4)

Cache Mem: 6MB

RAM: 16MB (DDR3L) Expandable to 24GB

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA (7200 rpm)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

Video Memory: 3GB GDDR5 (dedicated)

1920x1080 resolution

Thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: onealec

Should handle it fine. You'll also be able to run a couple extra monitors.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7
Jeff_M

Be sure to install the latest ServicePAck for C3D2013 in order to get the best performance (read least amount of crashes) in Win8. Otherwise it will be just fine. If you do a lot of rendering, that would be the only time that Graphics card will struggle.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 7
BtimmermanMMS

Not according to AutoDesk Website. We tried running it on more than one Windows 8 system (Windows 8 and 8.1), and it crashed/locked up more than it was stable. So, we had to install C3D 2014 onto the Win8 systems.

Be careful with C3D 2014 and Windows 8 though too - according to THE website it isn't supported on 32bit and only on the 64bit OS.

Did you guys have any luck with C3D 2013 on Win8? Seruiously?

Message 5 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: BtimmermanMMS

@BtimmermanMMS wrote:

Did you guys have any luck with C3D 2013 on Win8? Seruiously?

While I don't use it much, as it is my home machine used mainly for programming, yes, since I installed SP2 I haven't seen very many issues at all...other than those that exist under Win7 as well.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 7
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: Jeff_M

Interesting - our systems had SP2 on them as well, and we could NOT get the program to be stable.

It would simply go to "Not Responding" and we'd shut down C3D and restart to try and roll the dice again. Usually the Not Responding is hardware related and comes out of the "phase" after a second or two. But, with this install...no such luck. We simply said - install 2014. Then we started running into compatability issues with 2013 and 2014. Which is a entirely different thread all together. But, to simply say our grading in 2014 would cause the 2013 users no access is enough.

By no means was it ONLY on one project (dwg). It happened multiple times and these users and myself are not new to C3D or project work.

Waiting to see what 2015 will bring and see if we stay w/2013 or upgrade to Win8 acorss the board and run 2014 for production.

Anyway...all I can say is some users/systems have better luck than others.

For what it's worth.

One other comment - just hope Mike B from Bentley doesn't pick up on this thread.

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 7
onealec
in reply to: BtimmermanMMS

great, thanks for all of the information! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report