Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LandXML export problem

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jmanous
392 Views, 1 Reply

LandXML export problem

Greetings to everyone!
Here is my problem in Civil 3D 2007. I create a surface from a corridor model and export it in landXML format. Even though the surface is well formed, when I import it into civil 3d 2006 or most importantly 3ds max 8 or 9 its geometry is deformed, meaning new triangles are appearing near the edges as if the surface is not "closed" with the appropriate boundary. The LandXML import command seems to work properly only in 2007 version. I really need to transfer these corridor surfaces to 3dsMax. Any suggestion or advice provided would be extremely appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
tscheevel
in reply to: jmanous

I know nothing about 3ds max, but seem to recall reading in this discussion group some time ago that in ver 2006, C3D imports a LandXML surface as a series of "add point" edits.
As such it doesn't recognize the outside boundary. If your corridor has curves, it will add triangulation on the inside of those curves. I just did a corridor surface import into C3D 2006 via XML and saw the same behavior.
I suggest exporting the feature lines (as polylines) that were used to define the corridor surface boundary from the original corridor. Then W-block them out of that drawing. Then insert the w-block into the new drawing and explode it. Then import the corridor surface via LandXML. Then add the inserted polylines to the surface as an outside boundary.
You may have to open the w-block in C3D 2007 and save-as a 2004 format dwg in order to insert it into C3D2006.
There may be gaps in the plines exported from the corridor.
As always, I reserve the right to be wrong, and others may have a more graceful approach.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report