Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LandXML Parcel Import

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
226 Views, 5 Replies

LandXML Parcel Import

I believe this could be considered buggy behavior: 1.) Open new drawing in Civil3D (_Autodesk Civil 3D Imperial By Style.dwt) 2.) General menu -> Import LandXML 3.) Select LandXML file that contains only two parcels. LandXML file was created in LDT. 4.) Click OK to import parcels. A new site with two parcels has been created as expected. By default, both parcels are labeled with Parcel labels, and one parcel has additional Site label (?). 5.) Grip edit the parcel with the Site label. The Site label jumps to other parcel. Is that something that is suppose to happen? 6.) Grip edit the other parcel (now containing the Site label) the Site label jumps back to the first parcel. At this point both parcels have been edited. Re-importing the same parcel LandXML file: 7.) General menu -> Import LandXML 8.) Select LandXML file that contains only two parcels. LandXML file was created in LDT. 9.) Click OK to import parcels. Both parcels are re-imported without ever prompting a user for Overwrite/Rename. Is that expected behavior? Second strange thing happening, it takes forever for parcels to be listed in the Prospector. Third strange thing, at this point there are 6 parcels (?), two of which named as expected, and four of them named after Parcel styles and representing the area of the labels themselves. That does not seem right to me. Any ideas? Thanks, -- Strah @ Langan
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Strah, You've noted several behaviors that I need to look into to determine if we already have defects created for them. When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and new geometry is created, new parcels will be created for those new polygons. Thanks for the information. Henry -- Henry Sanders Autodesk ISD Civil Test Development "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403a5786_1@newsprd01... > I believe this could be considered > buggy behavior: > > 1.) Open new drawing in Civil3D > (_Autodesk Civil 3D Imperial By Style.dwt) > 2.) General menu -> Import LandXML > 3.) Select LandXML file that contains only > two parcels. LandXML file was created > in LDT. > 4.) Click OK to import parcels. > > A new site with two parcels has been > created as expected. > > By default, both parcels are labeled with > Parcel labels, and one parcel has additional > Site label (?). > > 5.) Grip edit the parcel with the Site label. > The Site label jumps to other parcel. > Is that something that is suppose to happen? > > 6.) Grip edit the other parcel (now containing > the Site label) the Site label jumps back > to the first parcel. > > At this point both parcels have been edited. > > Re-importing the same parcel LandXML file: > > 7.) General menu -> Import LandXML > 8.) Select LandXML file that contains only > two parcels. LandXML file was created > in LDT. > 9.) Click OK to import parcels. > > Both parcels are re-imported without ever > prompting a user for Overwrite/Rename. > Is that expected behavior? > > Second strange thing happening, it takes > forever for parcels to be listed in the Prospector. > > Third strange thing, at this point there are 6 > parcels (?), two of which named as expected, > and four of them named after Parcel styles > and representing the area of the labels themselves. > > That does not seem right to me. Any ideas? > > Thanks, > > -- > Strah @ Langan > >
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Henry, thanks for your replay, > When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and > new geometry is created, new parcels will be created > for those new polygons. I am not quite sure what you mean by overplayed parcels, but I would expect for LandXML import to have similar Conflict Resolution approach as LDT when data conflicts occur. Extract from LDT help: "....Data conflicts occur when you import data that is already in the project, based on name comparisons, but has different values..." So, as I already imported my two parcels in a C3D drawing, and based on the name comparison I should not be able to import them again without being prompted for overwriting/renaming them. And I (still) do not see a reason for 4 new parcels to be created in addition. Now, the funny thing is, even though it is advertised in LDT help that the data conflicts are resolved based on name comparison, it does not seem to work quite that way in LDT either. When I try to import the same LandXML file in LDT drawing two times in a row (without modifying the parcels), only one parcel is recognized as identical (first one in the list), and the import procedure would not import the second parcel no matter what. Well, at least not before I delete the parcel(s) from the parcel database (gcf). I am bringing this up as many of attempts in the beginning will be just importing/exporting existing LDT projects from and to C3D and back, and LandXML will have important role in that, so it would be nice if it worked as advertised on both sides (unless I am misunderstanding the instructions). Cheers, -- Strah @ Langan "Henry Sanders" wrote in message news:403baaeb$1_1@newsprd01... > Strah, > You've noted several behaviors that I need to look into to determine if we > already have defects created for them. > When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and new geometry is created, > new parcels will be created for those new polygons. > Thanks for the information. > Henry > > -- > Henry Sanders > Autodesk ISD Civil Test Development > "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message > news:403a5786_1@newsprd01... > > I believe this could be considered > > buggy behavior: > > > > 1.) Open new drawing in Civil3D > > (_Autodesk Civil 3D Imperial By Style.dwt) > > 2.) General menu -> Import LandXML > > 3.) Select LandXML file that contains only > > two parcels. LandXML file was created > > in LDT. > > 4.) Click OK to import parcels. > > > > A new site with two parcels has been > > created as expected. > > > > By default, both parcels are labeled with > > Parcel labels, and one parcel has additional > > Site label (?). > > > > 5.) Grip edit the parcel with the Site label. > > The Site label jumps to other parcel. > > Is that something that is suppose to happen? > > > > 6.) Grip edit the other parcel (now containing > > the Site label) the Site label jumps back > > to the first parcel. > > > > At this point both parcels have been edited. > > > > Re-importing the same parcel LandXML file: > > > > 7.) General menu -> Import LandXML > > 8.) Select LandXML file that contains only > > two parcels. LandXML file was created > > in LDT. > > 9.) Click OK to import parcels. > > > > Both parcels are re-imported without ever > > prompting a user for Overwrite/Rename. > > Is that expected behavior? > > > > Second strange thing happening, it takes > > forever for parcels to be listed in the Prospector. > > > > Third strange thing, at this point there are 6 > > parcels (?), two of which named as expected, > > and four of them named after Parcel styles > > and representing the area of the labels themselves. > > > > That does not seem right to me. Any ideas? > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > Strah @ Langan > > > > > >
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Strah, Should have been overlaid, not overplayed. I will research the issues you've mentioned and get back as soon as I have some answers. Thanks again Henry "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403bb384_2@newsprd01... Hi Henry, thanks for your replay, > When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and > new geometry is created, new parcels will be created > for those new polygons. I am not quite sure what you mean by overplayed parcels, but I would expect for LandXML import to have similar Conflict Resolution approach as LDT when data conflicts occur. Extract from LDT help: "....Data conflicts occur when you import data that is already in the project, based on name comparisons, but has different values..." So, as I already imported my two parcels in a C3D drawing, and based on the name comparison I should not be able to import them again without being prompted for overwriting/renaming them. And I (still) do not see a reason for 4 new parcels to be created in addition. Now, the funny thing is, even though it is advertised in LDT help that the data conflicts are resolved based on name comparison, it does not seem to work quite that way in LDT either. When I try to import the same LandXML file in LDT drawing two times in a row (without modifying the parcels), only one parcel is recognized as identical (first one in the list), and the import procedure would not import the second parcel no matter what. Well, at least not before I delete the parcel(s) from the parcel database (gcf). I am bringing this up as many of attempts in the beginning will be just importing/exporting existing LDT projects from and to C3D and back, and LandXML will have important role in that, so it would be nice if it worked as advertised on both sides (unless I am misunderstanding the instructions). Cheers, -- Strah @ Langan "Henry Sanders" wrote in message news:403baaeb$1_1@newsprd01... > Strah, > You've noted several behaviors that I need to look into to determine if we > already have defects created for them. > When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and new geometry is created, > new parcels will be created for those new polygons. > Thanks for the information. > Henry > > -- > Henry Sanders > Autodesk ISD Civil Test Development > "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message > news:403a5786_1@newsprd01... > > I believe this could be considered > > buggy behavior: > > > > 1.) Open new drawing in Civil3D > > (_Autodesk Civil 3D Imperial By Style.dwt) > > 2.) General menu -> Import LandXML > > 3.) Select LandXML file that contains only > > two parcels. LandXML file was created > > in LDT. > > 4.) Click OK to import parcels. > > > > A new site with two parcels has been > > created as expected. > > > > By default, both parcels are labeled with > > Parcel labels, and one parcel has additional > > Site label (?). > > > > 5.) Grip edit the parcel with the Site label. > > The Site label jumps to other parcel. > > Is that something that is suppose to happen? > > > > 6.) Grip edit the other parcel (now containing > > the Site label) the Site label jumps back > > to the first parcel. > > > > At this point both parcels have been edited. > > > > Re-importing the same parcel LandXML file: > > > > 7.) General menu -> Import LandXML > > 8.) Select LandXML file that contains only > > two parcels. LandXML file was created > > in LDT. > > 9.) Click OK to import parcels. > > > > Both parcels are re-imported without ever > > prompting a user for Overwrite/Rename. > > Is that expected behavior? > > > > Second strange thing happening, it takes > > forever for parcels to be listed in the Prospector. > > > > Third strange thing, at this point there are 6 > > parcels (?), two of which named as expected, > > and four of them named after Parcel styles > > and representing the area of the labels themselves. > > > > That does not seem right to me. Any ideas? > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > Strah @ Langan > > > > > >
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

> but I would expect for LandXML import to have similar > Conflict Resolution approach as LDT when data conflicts > occur. Extract from LDT help: > "....Data conflicts occur when you import data that is already > in the project, based on name comparisons, but has different > values..." Conflict resolution for LandXML import is different in Civil 3D. There is no overwrite behavior. New objects are always created. If the name is already in use then the new object is renamed so that it is unique (a "(#)" is appended to the name). That renaming scheme is not currently being obeyed by Parcels on import. That is a defect that needs to be addressed. If you're trying to restore a Parcel to its original state, you'll have to delete it first and then re-import from the LandXML file. Matt
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Strah, Here's what I've learned: The Site name is turned off by default, but something in the Import LandXML process is turning it on for which I'll create a defect. You can turn the Site name off by doing the following: Expand the Sites node in Prospector > Right click on the Parcels node and select Properties. Select the Site area label style control and then select followed by OK. Grip editing the parcel with the site label repositions the label to the other site: If you do this on parcels that share a common lot line, the label location moves to the approximate centroid of the site. The behavior that you see when the parcels are separate is not expected and I'll create a defect for this. Matt Osborn addressed the Import Land XML duplicate name issue. When you grip edit the original 2 parcels, you have changed their geometry.Upon the next import of the same file, the program creates new parcels from the polygons created by the overlay on the original ones. The naming convention is correct. Thanks again for the input, Henry "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403bb384_2@newsprd01... Hi Henry, thanks for your replay, > When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and > new geometry is created, new parcels will be created > for those new polygons. I am not quite sure what you mean by overplayed parcels, but I would expect for LandXML import to have similar Conflict Resolution approach as LDT when data conflicts occur. Extract from LDT help: "....Data conflicts occur when you import data that is already in the project, based on name comparisons, but has different values..." So, as I already imported my two parcels in a C3D drawing, and based on the name comparison I should not be able to import them again without being prompted for overwriting/renaming them. And I (still) do not see a reason for 4 new parcels to be created in addition. Now, the funny thing is, even though it is advertised in LDT help that the data conflicts are resolved based on name comparison, it does not seem to work quite that way in LDT either. When I try to import the same LandXML file in LDT drawing two times in a row (without modifying the parcels), only one parcel is recognized as identical (first one in the list), and the import procedure would not import the second parcel no matter what. Well, at least not before I delete the parcel(s) from the parcel database (gcf). I am bringing this up as many of attempts in the beginning will be just importing/exporting existing LDT projects from and to C3D and back, and LandXML will have important role in that, so it would be nice if it worked as advertised on both sides (unless I am misunderstanding the instructions). Cheers, -- Strah @ Langan "Henry Sanders" wrote in message news:403baaeb$1_1@newsprd01... > Strah, > You've noted several behaviors that I need to look into to determine if we > already have defects created for them. > When parcels are overplayed over other parcels and new geometry is created, > new parcels will be created for those new polygons. > Thanks for the information. > Henry > > -- > Henry Sanders > Autodesk ISD Civil Test Development > "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message > news:403a5786_1@newsprd01... > > I believe this could be considered > > buggy behavior: > > > > 1.) Open new drawing in Civil3D > > (_Autodesk Civil 3D Imperial By Style.dwt) > > 2.) General menu -> Import LandXML > > 3.) Select LandXML file that contains only > > two parcels. LandXML file was created > > in LDT. > > 4.) Click OK to import parcels. > > > > A new site with two parcels has been > > created as expected. > > > > By default, both parcels are labeled with > > Parcel labels, and one parcel has additional > > Site label (?). > > > > 5.) Grip edit the parcel with the Site label. > > The Site label jumps to other parcel. > > Is that something that is suppose to happen? > > > > 6.) Grip edit the other parcel (now containing > > the Site label) the Site label jumps back > > to the first parcel. > > > > At this point both parcels have been edited. > > > > Re-importing the same parcel LandXML file: > > > > 7.) General menu -> Import LandXML > > 8.) Select LandXML file that contains only > > two parcels. LandXML file was created > > in LDT. > > 9.) Click OK to import parcels. > > > > Both parcels are re-imported without ever > > prompting a user for Overwrite/Rename. > > Is that expected behavior? > > > > Second strange thing happening, it takes > > forever for parcels to be listed in the Prospector. > > > > Third strange thing, at this point there are 6 > > parcels (?), two of which named as expected, > > and four of them named after Parcel styles > > and representing the area of the labels themselves. > > > > That does not seem right to me. Any ideas? > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > Strah @ Langan > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report