Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land Desktop 2008 to Civil 3D - Help!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dgiovannini
718 Views, 5 Replies

Land Desktop 2008 to Civil 3D - Help!

we finally replaced out 2004 computers with new computers at our company Smiley Very Happy

questions:

1. can I use my existing LDD descriptor key file?
  2. do points import the same as in LDD?
  3. can I use my existing LDD label styles?
  4. any tips for switching from LDD 2008 to Civil 3D 201????

those are the major questions since I have a 2 large descriptor key files and many label styles for points, curves, lines, etc.

thank you Smiley Happy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgordon
in reply to: dgiovannini

Here's the hard lesson, learn it fast.   forget what is known about LDD, it won't help in C3D.   Take the 3 day training course offered by the nearest reseller.   If proper training isn't in the budget, then there are some resources to be found online.   Like autodesk university for subscription users.   Mastering C3D is a good book to pick up.   This forum is a good place to ask specific questions.

As for description keys.....

C3D doesn't have a convert routine for this.   The description key in C3D will have to be done from scratch.

The blocks used for Description keys can be imported into a C3D template and used for point symbol styles.

A good place to start is the NCS imperial template for english units, and the NCS metric template for metric units.

This file comes with alot of the styles built already.    These can be opened looked at and customize to suit specific company template needs.

Live the adventure, and let the insanity begin....

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 6
jmayo-EE

Your description keys can be imported but you will need to assign styles, layers, etc. Go to the Inset tab of the Ribbon and look for the Landdesktop button. THis will allow you to import descr keys, surfaces, pipe networks and parcels from you LDD projects.

Points import pretty much the same.

If you are on subscription there is an extension you can download that will migrate some of your LDD label styles into C3D. http://subscription.autodesk.com/sp/servlet/download/item?siteID=11564774&id=13209919

You cannot use you existing LDD styles.

Don't get stuck in the LDD workflow. Remember there is more than one way to do things. Don't get fustrated when LDD procedures change in C3D. The results will be the same. You just find new ways to do things that will save  you time.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
TonyLeggieri3279
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You can also look into what your reseller can do.  Many have proprietary routines that will convert / setup a lot of settings (for a cost of course) for you.  The cost could be worth it.

We had Avatech (now IMAGINiT) do it for us and I can not tell you how much time it has saved us.  Well worth the cost for us, IMO.

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
Message 5 of 6
IanMcClain

In response to your question #4: Make a C3D template with your description key styles, labels and any other defaults you want to use on a typical basis. When you find the need for a new description key, label, etc. add it to your template. The work and use of C3D will get easier as your template matures.

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thank you Ian. I did not mean to imply that you want to import description keys into project files as you would a surface or alignment. They should be kept and updated in the template.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report