Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labelling round and elliptical pipes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
icie.washington
1744 Views, 14 Replies

Labelling round and elliptical pipes

I have a job where there are 3 round pipes and one elliptical pipe going into the same structure. When I put a label on the structure, it shows all 4 pipes, but I can't figure a way to show the elliptical pipe dimensions as 29x45; It only comes in as 45" RCP. I have tried to manipulated the text, but it won't let me me change the individual pipe text in the structure label. When I change the label to read Height x Width, the round pipes show the same as elliptical pipe. Is there a way for my label to show 3 round and 1 elliptical pipe size, or do I have to manually add the elliptical pipe size (which I'd prefer not to do)?

I've attached a pdf of the structure in question. Any assistance is welcome.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 8 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10 GHz
Dell T1650
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: icie.washington

If your parts list is using the Material Parameter ie: 30" RCP etc. you can add a "text for each" component to the label style using "Connected Pipe Material".

pipes.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

Create a label style that looks like both  waysa you want, set the style that looks right for most pipes to the default style, Press ctrl and select the pipe text that should look different and choose the other style in the properties dialog box. I am not sure this will work for structures, but it works for alignment labels, ill bet its the same. let me know how it turns out.

Message 4 of 15
icie.washington

That seems to work for what I need. I wasn't sure if there was something else you could do with the labels in the a case like this.

Thanks.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650
Message 5 of 15
icie.washington
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried that, but it won't let you do that to the structures. You only have the option to change the label info on incoming or outgoing pipes as a group, not individual pipes when they come into a structure.

Thanks though.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650
Message 6 of 15
jmayo-EE

I use two label styles. One stc label style and one pipe label style.

The struc label will show the round pipe info and rim/grate elv. The pipe label will show the elliptical pipe description which I populate with the dimensions and the leader is turned off so I can place this under the stc label.

Not ideal but I get the plans out the door.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
icie.washington
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about that, but it sounds like a good work around when i can't get something to work.

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650
Message 8 of 15
Jay_B

John, In order to make this work do you need to choose either "structure inflow pipes" or "structure out flow pipes" when creating the label? Or are you able to make it work using "structure all pipes"

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 9 of 15
emelendez

There is one dialog box that people often forget about that is a very powerful box...........THE PIPE DESCRIPTION BOX........you can have your pipe and structure labels read the PIPE DESCRIPTION for labeling the pipe size and material. this will allow you the ability to adjust what you want the description to read for each pipe. There is only one pipe and one structure label style used for the labels shown and there are NO OVERRIDES for any of these labels.

pipes-2.PNG

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 10 of 15
jmayo-EE

Hey Jay. This is a pipe label so you will need to choose start or end invert.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: emelendez

I use description a lot with pipe networks but we should note that if you swap a part you will lose the description.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
emelendez

This is true, BUT if you know that, then before you swap part you can copy/clip the text from the description box to put into the "new" pipe description box. Also, what I do is have my pipe descriptions in my parts list read the general information of the pipe ie XX" RCP, XX" x XX" ERCP

Then, under the settings tab>RT click over the main heading PIPE NETWORK> click on EDIT SETTINGS then I change the settings as shown.

Capture-2.PNG

Edwin Melendez
Message 13 of 15
jmayo-EE

Absoolutely. I figured you knew that but I wanted to note it for lurkers and casual readers.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
emelendez

AAHHHH....Very well then. TIp of the hat to you sir for pointing that out.

Edwin Melendez
Message 15 of 15
icie.washington

I know this post was 1 year ago, but I was having the same problem this morning, and went searching the boards again, and noticed you had a different solution than the one I originally accepted. This one works great also. Thanks!!!

Civil 3D 2015, SP1
Dell T1650

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report