Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling lines with their azimuth,

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
JamaL9722060
10593 Views, 13 Replies

I wanted to label lines with their azimuth but sounds not to work. I got question marks instead (attached)

What might be the issue here?

Thanks

Best

Jamal

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rl_jackson
in reply to: JamaL9722060

I believe you have to change your drawing settings. You either label with Bearing, North or South Azimuths. Not to say that this could not be done with an expression that would convert the bearing to an azimuth.

azimuth.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
AllenJessup

Can you show how your Label Style is set up?

az.png

And could you please explain the circumstances which make the use of Grid Direction necessary. I don't work much except in our local US State Plane system. So I'm not that familiar with needing to use Grid Direction. But I believe that there are geodetic settings that need to be set correctly for this to work.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14

Your problem is most likely caused by the fact that you are labeling the lines with geodetic azimuth labels.

To get geodetic labels to work, the drawing must have a coordinate system assigned to it.

You have to either -

Set a coordinates system for the drawing (Toolspace -> Settings Tab -> right click the drawing name -> click Edit Drawing Settings -> Units and Zone Tab -> Set the datum and projection in the Zone area and click ok.

Or

Use a label style that does not have geodetic or grid angles or distances.

You can create an azimuth label style that displays the angle in north azimuth format no matter what you drawing is set to.

In your label style use a General Segment Direction with a Measurement type set to North Azimuth.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 14

Andrew, Correct me if I'm wrong. As I said, this is an area of the program I have little experience with.

The way I understood the use of Grid Direction was to list or label a Grid direction in a drawing that has a Geodetic Lat / Long system set or possibly in a drawing that is in a local net and has a transformation set. I think if a drawing is already in a grid system there is no need to use Grid Direction of Grid Distance.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 14

Many thanks guys for the help,

I tried the very useful feedback that you have provided but sounds not to work.

I still couldn’t obtain the azimuth of each line (angle between the line and the north axis). In the attached screenshot, I’m assumed to have the indicated azimuth for the lines. For example, I couldn’t have the label 104˚2’10’’ for the indicated line (attached)

How thin might be accomplished?

The dwg is attached

Jamal Numan
Message 7 of 14
AllenJessup

Labeling with a standard Azimuth works and yields the results you want.

az.png

Your drawing has no Zone (geo-coordinate system) or transformation set. I must ask again. WHY are are you trying to use Geodetic or Grid azimuths in a drawing that is set up in a local grid with no geodetic reference.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
JamaL9722060
in reply to: AllenJessup

Many thanks Allen for the help,

What is shown in the screenshot that you have already provided is exactly what I want.

For me, the “units and zones”, “transformation” and “direction” are set. But I couldn’t figure out which “line label style” may introduce the azimuth

What might be the issue then?

Jamal Numan
Message 9 of 14
AllenJessup

I was going with your posted drawing. I copied the Bearing and Distance Style and renamed Bearing to Azimuth and then changed the measurement type to north azimuth and used that new style to label the line.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
JamaL9722060
in reply to: AllenJessup

Could you please send me the dwg after customizing the label?

Jamal Numan
Message 11 of 14

Allan,

Re: your answer above regarding grid direction. I also do not have much experience with that part of the program. We set the drawing to the coordinate system the survey is based and do not use grid or geodetic labels at all. All the labels we use are general direction labels using north azimuth whether a coordinate system is assigned or not.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 12 of 14

Jamal,

Here is your drawing with the bearing only and bearing over distance label styles copied and edited as Azimuth Only and Azimuth over Distance for you to look over.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 13 of 14

Many thanks Andrew. It works

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 14 of 14
AllenJessup

I'm glad Andrew got you the drawing. I was away for the weekend. Good luck.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report