Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling a pipe between structures

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
losfotos
585 Views, 7 Replies

Labeling a pipe between structures

Does anyone know if there is a way to label a pipe part way between structures? I would like to be able to label a sanitary line where a service ties in with the main line invert. Any ideas?

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: losfotos

Im not sure I understand what you want to label. Are you looking to provide a partial length of the Sewer Main or the Service branch line? A portion of the Main could be labeled from structure A to the wye location by placing a NULL structure to represent the wye etc.
Can you post a screen capture of what you're hoping to show with the partial label?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
losfotos
in reply to: Jay_B

Hey Jay,

let me try to explain it better. When you have a main line sanitary sewer often in residential projects you'll have services wye into the pipe between MH's. Without having to break the pipe and add in a bunch of null nodes and have to figure out how to label them all as one I was wondering if anyone has come up with a label that will tell you the invert of the pipe at a particular point on the pipe? Does that make more sense?

I have an idea that maybe I could do an expression that will read the downstream invert, the slope of the pipe, the station where the label is and give the invert. I'm going to try to see if I can figure it out today.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 4 of 8
Jay_B

I'm not aware of any way to place an invert label by picking a random point along a Pipe. You're expression idea may work.

Sounds like you're hoping to label the service invert at each service wye along the main?

This can be done assuming you had a pipe connected to the main line by creating a Pipe Label that uses the available "Start or End pipe Invert Elevation" components. It would also require the extra null structures and breaking up the main pipe.

@losfotos wrote:

Without having to break the pipe and add in a bunch of null nodes and have to figure out how to label them all as one

The broken up main can be labeled as if it were one pipe MH to MH using Span Pipe labels.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 8
losfotos
in reply to: Jay_B

Oh... Span. Huh, didn't see that one. Thanks Jay

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 6 of 8
troma

Another option to look into:
Draw the pipe in profile view, then use a profile station/elevation label to label the invert at locations along the pipe.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 8
losfotos
in reply to: troma

That would be a way to do it. BUT since more often than not we don't profile the services we just label them in plan view. Actually we do label sanitary services in profile but not landscape drains. I'm actually trying to figure this out more for the landscape drains since we just do a plan view with inverts and slope for them.

I think I have an idea of how to do it but I need to call out expressions from alignments as well as pipes... Can that be done? I'm going to see what I can do with it but it may take a while. If I had C3D 2013 on my computer at home I could actually spend some time on it. (can't believe I just said that)

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 8 of 8
troma

First step in that case would be to trace the invert line with a profile. Now you've lost the dynamic link of course. Also, I'm not sure if you can label wherever you like, or just at regular stations.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report