Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling TIN lines on SURFACE

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
RCBmstg007
625 Views, 8 Replies

Labeling TIN lines on SURFACE

Is there away to label (Dynamically) slope arrows and percents on a tin surface (Without Exploding it)? Or is there another medhod to do so?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: RCBmstg007

Like this....use labelling

2013-09-10 20_12_38-AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 - [EGL OS Contours.dwg [Civil]].jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 9
RCBmstg007
in reply to: neilyj666

When you have the tin turned on. If you could label slope on the TIN Lines with a feature label or alike.
Message 4 of 9
Neilw_05

There is no way to have dynamic labels.

That being said, you can make a copy of the surface, set it to display the triangles, explode it, covert the 3dfaces to regions with the region command, explode the regions, remove the duplicate triangle edges with Overkill and label the resulting 3D lines with a slope label. You''ll have to place the labels one line at a time.

It's a lousy solution but the best I can come up with without custom tools.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

Whilst this would do the job (eventually) one wonders if this is what the OP actually requires? The OOTB labelling will work albeit you have to place each label as well but there ia also the slope range analysis tool to consider.

It would be useful to know from the OP what they are ultimately trying to achieve.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
RCBmstg007

The Engineer was asking for if this was possible. I did suggest the method about exploding the TIN to Feature Lines and then Adding Slope Labels.

I believe he is trying to get a cross slope on the tin for either ADA or something that is even flatter.

Message 7 of 9
neilyj666

Thanks for the clarification - I still think using slope labels under Annotation is the best bet as you can choose the two points of interest and these labels will remain dynamic if your surface changes whereas the other suggestions will require you to do the whole explode/region thing again.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Neilw_05

In cases where you only need to evaluate ADA requirements I think you'd be better off just applying slope labels where needed vs. trying to label the entire TIN. If you are needing to identify potential routes you could apply a slope theme to the TIN and then evaluate the areas that fall within the acceptable range in more detail.

If you find there are lots of TIN labels needed you could explod the TIN down to generic 3D lines and make use of Map or generic Autocad annotation tools to label the lines by selection set vs. picking them one at a time with the C3D label tool.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: Neilw_05

If I were trying to evaluate individual ADA routs. I'd define them with Featurelines with their elevations from the Surface. Then label the slope on them. Not dynamic to the Surface but you could apply the new Surface elevations if the Surface was updated.

Not what the OP asked. But I like to give options.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report