Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label workaround?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
MHerranz
161 Views, 9 Replies

Label workaround?

I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can see enormous potential timesaving here!

My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple Mtext string?

Thanks in advance,
Marco
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MHerranz

Hi Marco, That kind of defeats the purpose. Labels have a bit more intelligence than ordinary MText strings, such as the ability to automatically adjust to the current viewport twist & scale. If you want, you can use the "export to autocad" command to create exploded mtext objects (and exploded everything else, too). -- Jon Rizzo Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. "MHerranz" wrote in message news:3109156.1076428411947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can see enormous potential timesaving here! > > My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple Mtext string? > > Thanks in advance, > Marco
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Not yet, but a number of requests have been made to have simple mtext react in a similar manner to labels. It would be a great feature! -- Mark Scacco "MHerranz" wrote in message news:3109156.1076428411947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can see enormous potential timesaving here! > > My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple Mtext string? > > Thanks in advance, > Marco
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

One of the tricks were using is to label things based on descriptions. This lets us put non-technical information in there, but still act as a label, i.e. "50' Landscaping Buffer" as a parcel description. Way cool, and read-right! -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 5 of 10
MHerranz

Thanks Mark, you saved me some time pulling my hair out. If Autodesk needs votes on getting this feature, you have one from me.

Marco

PS Actually, two different settings can be introduced. One to make the Mtext *always* rotated zero degrees (about the insertion point), another one to simply make it readable (like the contours are now).
Message 6 of 10
MHerranz

That did it!

Thanks for the help.

Marco
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hi all - Note that we've shared this request with the core AutoCAD team. It would definitely make sense if all text in a drawing had the same scaling and orientation behavior. No promises! Thanks Dave S "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message news:40290ae4_2@newsprd01... > Hi Marco, > > That kind of defeats the purpose. Labels have a bit more intelligence than > ordinary MText strings, such as the ability to automatically adjust to the > current viewport twist & scale. If you want, you can use the "export to > autocad" command to create exploded mtext objects (and exploded everything > else, too). > > -- > Jon Rizzo > Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. > > > "MHerranz" wrote in message > news:3109156.1076428411947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can see > enormous potential timesaving here! > > > > My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple Mtext > string? > > > > Thanks in advance, > > Marco > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Dave, When I first saw this in C3D, I immediately saw the potential in vanilla AutoCAD. Add my tuppence worth (I'm in the UK - no cents here) to the list of requesters for this functionality in vanilla AutoCAD. Cheers, Adam -- Adam Davis Wish Software Limited 5 Biggar Road Silverburn EH26 9LQ UK tel: +44 (0)1968 670 899 fax: +44 (0)870 220 0875 mailto:adam@wishsoftware.com www.wishsoftware.com "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:402c1e2d_2@newsprd01... > > Hi all - Note that we've shared this request with the core AutoCAD team. It > would definitely make sense if all text in a drawing had the same scaling > and orientation behavior. > > No promises! > > Thanks > Dave S > > > "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message > news:40290ae4_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Marco, > > > > That kind of defeats the purpose. Labels have a bit more intelligence > than > > ordinary MText strings, such as the ability to automatically adjust to the > > current viewport twist & scale. If you want, you can use the "export to > > autocad" command to create exploded mtext objects (and exploded everything > > else, too). > > > > -- > > Jon Rizzo > > Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. > > > > > > "MHerranz" wrote in message > > news:3109156.1076428411947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can > see > > enormous potential timesaving here! > > > > > > My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple Mtext > > string? > > > > > > Thanks in advance, > > > Marco > > > > > >
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Dave, It really is a core AutoCAD issue and it's a shame that the Civil Team had to use their resource to do it. However, the core team to add the essential functionality of checking for text overlap at different scales and make a set of pre-defined text moves to avoid the overlap. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:402c1e2d_2@newsprd01... > > Hi all - Note that we've shared this request with the core AutoCAD team. It > would definitely make sense if all text in a drawing had the same scaling > and orientation behavior. > > No promises! > > Thanks > Dave S > > > "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message > news:40290ae4_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Marco, > > > > That kind of defeats the purpose. Labels have a bit more intelligence > than > > ordinary MText strings, such as the ability to automatically adjust to the > > current viewport twist & scale. If you want, you can use the "export to > > autocad" command to create exploded mtext objects (and exploded everything > > else, too). > > > > -- > > Jon Rizzo > > Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. > > > > > > "MHerranz" wrote in message > > news:3109156.1076428411947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can > see > > enormous potential timesaving here! > > > > > > My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple Mtext > > string? > > > > > > Thanks in advance, > > > Marco > > > > > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Laurie, Next you'll be wanting a GIS - now come on!?! Have a great weekend everybody. Adam -- Adam Davis Wish Software Limited 5 Biggar Road Silverburn EH26 9LQ UK tel: +44 (0)1968 670 899 fax: +44 (0)870 220 0875 mailto:adam@wishsoftware.com www.wishsoftware.com "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:402d349b$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Dave, > > It really is a core AutoCAD issue and it's a shame that the Civil Team had > to use their resource to do it. However, the core team to add the essential > functionality of checking for text overlap at different scales and make a > set of pre-defined text moves to avoid the overlap. > > -- > > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > "Dave Simeone" wrote in message > news:402c1e2d_2@newsprd01... > > > > Hi all - Note that we've shared this request with the core AutoCAD team. > It > > would definitely make sense if all text in a drawing had the same scaling > > and orientation behavior. > > > > No promises! > > > > Thanks > > Dave S > > > > > > "Jon Rizzo" wrote in message > > news:40290ae4_2@newsprd01... > > > Hi Marco, > > > > > > That kind of defeats the purpose. Labels have a bit more intelligence > > than > > > ordinary MText strings, such as the ability to automatically adjust to > the > > > current viewport twist & scale. If you want, you can use the "export to > > > autocad" command to create exploded mtext objects (and exploded > everything > > > else, too). > > > > > > -- > > > Jon Rizzo > > > Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. > > > > > > > > > "MHerranz" wrote in message > > > news:3109156.1076428411947.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > I've just installed C3D because I heard about the label utility. I can > > see > > > enormous potential timesaving here! > > > > > > > > My question is: Is there a workaround to make it generate a simple > Mtext > > > string? > > > > > > > > Thanks in advance, > > > > Marco > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report