Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label bearing and distance between 2 points

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Chasethewind
2855 Views, 26 Replies

Label bearing and distance between 2 points

In LDD I could label a bearing and distance between 2 points. (Points - not actual surveyed points, but 2 spots I click)

In 3d 2010 I only can label a whole line, not only a portion that I choose. This has to be a label option still.
26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
nmessina
in reply to: Chasethewind

Stacy

In the attach image you will see the centerline of roadway intersection, as a surveyor I would want to label the centerline Bearing and Distance (TOTAL) and inaddition to that I want to lable the distance on each side of the intersecion. With LDD you could accomplished this with one line from PC to PC then add labels by points to label the distance only dimensions. In Civil 3D we have to have 3 lines, one for each segment then one overall line. The problem with having three lines is that it will mess up the centerline linetype if you have one overall line overlapping the two other segments.
Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 22 of 27
stacy.dunn

I see what you mean now. The two shorter lines would have to be in a no-plot layer, but then you get into duplicate linework. It would be handy to have alignments act like parcels with respect to intersecting alignments.
Stacy Dunn
Message 23 of 27
Chasethewind

Civil3DReminder,

This looks great.
Message 24 of 27
otter

The Lisp routine Lbl2.lsp and associated files does the job with dumb text and no redundant lines.
download at http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17201
Note, read the help files. (The command that runs the labeling routine is lbl not lbl2)
This allows you to label between points and to label existing lines and curves in a large number of ways.
It is not open source, so I cannot modify it, but as it is and with the options available though associated AutoCAD variables, it does the job.

I have brought this topic up with Lucy Kuhns and have pointed out to her how bad it is to force users to create redundant lines just to get the dimensioning they need. It is such bad practice to do this and is a route to errors and as pointed out above, it messes up line types unless you do unnecessarily complex things line putting lines on no plot layers. I can see the AutoCAD faithful in San Rafael rejecting the idea of a dimension label not attached to an object, but if they allowed the labeling of an overall dimension of a polyline that spanned two or more segments, that would do the trick and preserve the object oriented labeling.

My last attempt to contact Lucy about this failed as the email address I have for her lo longer works. Does anyone have a contact email or web page for Lucy Kuhns?

Does anyone know the author of this routine? It would be great to get it updated to the specific needs of Civil 3D users.
Thanks
Otter
Message 25 of 27

Per the AutoCAD C3D Release Comparison Matrix, it appears we can label between 2 points in 2013!

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 26 of 27
Sinc
in reply to: jefflambert9091

@jefflambert9091 wrote:

Per the AutoCAD C3D Release Comparison Matrix, it appears we can label between 2 points in 2013!

I suppose...

But in typical Autodesk fashion, they forgot that we ALSO need this functionality for CURVES!!!!!!!  Come on Nick Z and Peter F...  Why must every neat new feature have yet another caveat that ruins its appeal?

Sinc
Message 27 of 27
nmessina
in reply to: Sinc

As, I have been saying for many years, Civil 3D is written by Engineers and for Engineers.  Autodesk, please listen to and focus more on Surveyor's needs, a good engineering design starts out with a good survey.

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report