Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label arrowheads and xrefs

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
sfuller
2103 Views, 12 Replies

Label arrowheads and xrefs

I have a base file where I have labeled all my tracts.  I then xrefed that drawing into a sheet of my plan set.  In the base file the arrow head shows up correctly (using the Integral arrowhead).  Once I xref the base file into my sheet, the arrowheads change to the closed filled arrowhead.  In the sheet file, there are no label styles at all.  I also have the annotation scales set the same in both files.  Anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?  My boss really wants all the labels just in the xref and not placed in each sheet.

How it looks in my base file:

base file.png

How it looks in my Sheet File:

Sheet File.png

Thank you for any assistance given.

Civil 3D 2013, SP1

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: sfuller

This is a known issue.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 13
jimbo2dajj
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Perhaps try bringing one of the leaders with the associated text from the Base file to the Sheet file (copy-paste). That way if there are any missing styles they will be copied over.

Just a suggestion,

Bryan

Junior Civil Engineer using Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 13
oz333mex
in reply to: sfuller

I am having the same exact issue with Arrow Head Style (Dot) in Civil 3D 2013. I didn't copy an existing style. I made a fresh one and completely detached and re-attached my xref. No luck.

I did "Stacked Text" and "As composed" text. Detached and re-attached xref. No Luck

I set the arrow head style to "none" and it worked. (no arrow head shown)

I then changed my Arrow head to Dot small and the arrow head remained like the "none" setting. Weird.

I then changed my Arrow head back to the original "Closed fill" and it worked. (regular arrowhead shown)

I then changed my Arrow head to Integral and it went back to the "none" style. Weird.

I then decided to make a new label style in the plan sheet. I then dragged and dropped the style to the xref. I annotated the xref and the label looked like It does on the plan sheet. So I save the xref and prepare to reload my plan sheet to see if it updates. I hit reload and it goes back to the arrow head. Failure.

After numerous attempts of different settings and checking blocks and leader settings I achieved nothing.

What is the Status of this issue?

Is it user error? Because if it its I need help.

Autodesk issue? Is it known and being worked on?

What's beef with this?

Message 5 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: oz333mex

Still not fixed in 2014.

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 13

Does anyone know if there's a solution to this problem yet?

I'm having the same issue with surface spot elevation label styles in their dragged states.  Even though the dragged state style is set to display anything other than the "Closed Filled" (arrow head), when x-referenced into another drawing, the labels are taking on the arrow head properties of the current dimension style in that drawing.  The only fix I've been able to come up with thus far is to set the current dimension style in the drawings with the x-references to a dot style.

~Anthony

Message 7 of 13
cwitzel
in reply to: AnthonyS_805

We use a custom block on the leader and it works through Xref.  In our case for spot elevations we use a simple hatched circle.  Remember that the block will scale, so ours is something like .1 inchs or so.

I know this works for spot elevations, and I assume it would work for other leaders as well.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 8 of 13

This is completely unacceptable! How many versions and service packs have been released since this was identified as "a know issue"?

Is there a work-around? What are people doing to get around this?

AKA CaddCop
Message 9 of 13

What are the odds!?!

Message 10 of 13

Seems to still be broken in 2015 with SP1.  I haven't installed SP2 yet, but I didn't see anything in that which indicates they've fixed this yet.

I can't beleive such a problem that's been known for so long has been left broken.  I wish they would stop adding features and get important things like this fixed first, especially since it seems like it would be a basic fix.  The while the fix is small, the benefits are large because it affects a lot of things and breaks the functionality and usefulness of the tool for actual production work.  

If they fixed this type of thing, C3D would be less of a parlor trick and more useful for production of plans.  As it is, I still find myself fighting the tools constantly to get them to display the way the company wants. Sometimes I feel that C3D is mainly just useful for certain design work, and not really there yet for actual production of plans.  A large amount of time is waisted trying to get styles to work or looking for workarounds only to find out things like this are broken and have been for multiple versions and there is no solution other than exploding everything and loosing all benefits of C3D.

Message 11 of 13
kmedeiros1
in reply to: Kempostudent3

SAME ISSUE WITH DOT LEADER IN MY SPOT ELEVATION LABEL STYLES.  BUMPING TO KEEP THREAD GOING

Message 12 of 13

I found a very simple (and very unintuitive) solution that worked for me:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/xref-dragged-labels/td-p/2353881

Hopefully this helps someone else too!

Message 13 of 13

The solution in the link above took me a little while to understand, but it does seem like a partial solution, or at least trick to get it to work.

We typically xref our grading plan into our wall plan to get the design for the dirt on our wall plan.  The grading plan uses the surface spot elevations for the dirt grades.  Up till now they always had leader heads on my wall plans.

In my wall plan, if I set the "current" dimension style to a style that has "none" set for the "Leader" pulldown under the "Symbols and Arrows" tab for that dimesion style, then it stops showing the leaders on my grading plan spot elevations.

The problem is that it doesn't hold.  If I change the wall plan's current dimension style to one that does have leader heads, then it changes all the grading plan spot elevations along with it.  So I have to constantly hold the current style to a no leader head style to get it to work.

Also, if I intend different spot elevations to have different leader head styles, then I can't have them differentiate because they all follow the same leader style (pun intended).

This seems like very lazy programming to me, and requires all my drafter to be mindful of what dimension style is currently set in order for it to be a partial solution.

Autodesk, please get on the ball and start fixing these stupid programming mistakes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report