Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label Line between two points drag state.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
eastridge23
2957 Views, 10 Replies

Label Line between two points drag state.

Why doesn't the drag state work when adding a line label between 2 points in Civil 3D 2013. Is everyone having this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Unfortunately there is not a dragged state for this option.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 11
ngs
Participant
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I have just run into this issue and am wondering when this will be available. I am currently using Civil 3D 2014.

Message 4 of 11
ltaylor
in reply to: eastridge23

Don't ask me why, but when you label the line (UNDER LABLE TYPE) in the ADD LABELS dialog box you use the "Single Segment" option it will work.  Sadly if you label by the "Line between two points" option it will not work.  I am not sure about the "Multiple Segment" option.  Hope this helps as this is a must have, especially when creating TAG labels.

Message 5 of 11
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: ltaylor

The drag line seems to be working on my 2015 version of Civil 3D.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 11

My mistake... I was looking at placing the label.

So, the request is for a label between two points that you then drag off the line and just point to dot in space without even the context of the bearing?

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
mxsm
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

No, Mr. Funk, I think you do not understand why we would like this.  In my 15 years of using AutoCAD to make maps in California, I have learned that dynamic labeling (in LDD) or labeling xrefs in C3D is very dangerous because a drawing can become corrupted and all of your line labels can be lost.  The solution is to label by points; however, sometimes you have to have your label off to the side and add leaders to the line.  

When I label a live line and add a dragged state I have to add leaders to get the look I want, why can't I do the same by labeling between two points?

Also, why can we not label a curve by points?  LDD offered that option, why not C3D.  It is such an advanced program, it shocks me when it cannot do the same things that the old program could do.  Do not misunderstand me, I love C3D (2013, 2014, currently 2015, and soon to be using 2016), I just do not understand why this is such a hard thing for AutoCAD to figure out?

Please pass this up the chain:  C3D users need a dragged state for labeling a "line between 2 points" and users need to label "curve by 3 points".  My suggestion would be to change the label type to "By points" and then give the options for lines and curves below in the Add Labels dialog box.

Message 8 of 11

If you are doing work on this label it also needs the ability to grab elevation values.

The use case is a surveyor labeling the plan location vs. the as-built location for piles. He really doesn't need a line, but needs to show dX, dY, and dZ. Currently dX and dY are possible, but since the two points doesn't use elevation the dZ isn't possible. I'd expect to be able to snap to the points and have the label pick up those elevations and then be able to change the elevation in the AutoCAD properties. The extra step of creating lines, due to a lack of this feature, are a real drag on productivity.

The drag label ability would make Civil 3D have the basic functionality found in Carlson for labeling two points.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 9 of 11
homer028
in reply to: mxsm

I know this is an old post, but I am also using 2015, and found this 'between 2 points' feature nice.

I am doing a private development drawing where we have to label each ROW and parcel line. I have the plat (or it could easily be a base map of the proposed site) and so I don't want to label those lines. Instead I am having to copy on a non-plottable layer the linework from the surveyor - and then use that as my basis for my labels. Not ideal but it works since it now contained in the drawing that needs the annotation.

When I have several lots in a row, each of those lots needs to have each of the distances shown - and then an overall length with a bearing. Usually with all those lots, you would have the smaller distance inside of the lots and the overall on the opposite side of the lot lines. What happens when we also throw in soil borings, or any other text that takes up the area for the long length of the bearing and distance annotation? We would need to just move it easily off the line and have it still be connected with a leader -while still maintaining its connectivity to the overall line.

I don't want to have to draw two groups of lines for this - one made up of segments for each lot, and another showing the entire distance. THIS is where the 'between two points' comes in very nicely.

I second the point where it needs the functionality to be pulled off the line like all the other bearing and distance labels.

Thank you!

Message 10 of 11

2018 and nothing has been done on this topic. Vehicle tracking... gotta have that though, cant not use vehicle tracking. 

Message 11 of 11
t.melvintx2
in reply to: dan.denson

I would love for this to be worked out as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report