Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDD 2005 vs C3D 2005?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
423 Views, 25 Replies

LDD 2005 vs C3D 2005?

I am just wondering if there is any clear direction is to a migration path or what is going to happen with these two products? I would think that C3D 2005 would have replaced LDD entirely, but for now it seems that these two will be developed side by side. So does this mean we will have to purchase both products now? Right now C3D 2004 is free to LDD 2004 subscribers, but I am sure in the future autodesk will make us pay for both products. So is autodesk going to keep developing LDD? It doesn't make sense to me to continue developing LDD with the features that I see in C3D? I am just wondering if I should continue to teach & develop for a dead product like LDD?s
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

"12D" has proved to be a real alternative design package in our part of Australia. But this replaces only the Land Desktop functions. It is not a basic drafting package. 12D is a stand-alone design module. Output is transferred to AutoCAD for plotting. Doug Boys Cardno MBK Brisbane Australia
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous

Dave, they do listen to users, and you know it. Jon Rizzo, myself, Karl Fuls, and many others make their livings with LD and Autocad software. I've seen all of these people personally in Manchester during validation, testing, and gunslinger sessions. Your (or at least some other Dave Lewis',) history of ranting without any real input as to a solution has just pushed you off the list of invitees. Jon and I have both had very strong rants in these groups (go look it up,) but we also have offered solutions, so we continue to be involved. Is that the best way it should have been handled? I don't know, but to accuse the team in Manchester of not talking to customers is disingenuous at best, and a flat lie at worst. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous

Dave, they are listening. Unfortunately, writing a new program from the ground up is a time consuming endeavor. -- Jon Rizzo Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:p3ba40pd3sg0rlpcg5ssb9q3mncrfj05eb@4ax.com... > ya I guess I missed how toyota and the assembly line worked in that example > > True they may be turning over a new leaf, but its sure is costing alot to do that. > I still think they are only partially listening to their users. Look at all the users here > in these newsgroups that complain about alot of things and yet there is no action. > > Funny thing is, after I told the owners last week about the new pricing model, they > asked me if there was any alternatives to autodesk and land desktop. So I talked > about the alternatives and it became apparent to them real quick that we had no > choice, we are forced to stay with autodesk. We cannot change and autodesk > knows it. That is a monopoly that is not in our best interest. > > "Don Reichle" > |>And, for the record, the only comparison made to the auto industry Dave was > |>my reference to Henry Ford, and I was bringing him up not because of cars, > |>but because of the assembly line. Next time I will be specific. > |> > |>And in reference to monopolies, though they may act as a benevolent dictator > |>sometimes (we know what's best for you) they are beginning to act on our > |>input with this product. Least we forget, the advent of Intellicad, while > |>short-lived showed them that the competition can produce something which at > |>times could be near equivalent to their product. > > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous

Where did I say that they don't listen to users? I said "I still think they are only partially listening to their users." They may listen but something gets lost in the implementation. Who knows why the issues are not being fixed, but there are tons. I always love how if you actually can get a personal contact within a company they always say sure no problem we will look at that issue and get back to you with some sort of fix or whatever. Autodesk is just like other companies in that regard. But that's if you know someone within autodesk or somehow can get into contact with someone. I noticed that once you join ADN or if your company purchases huge amounts of autodesk software then its no problem. I have mostly worked for small little companies that just didn't have that kind of spending so of course the little guys are not going to get the same type of attention. That's great that you goto those autodesk university and gunslinger events. Great you are in the "in crowd". Maybe I guess I should go and brown nose some too. My history of ranting is due to frustration with dealing with the company and its product. You may have noticed but over the last 3 years or so I have done less ranting because the product has gotten better and I got tired of typing and not seeing a lot of results. I still think the product has a way to go as far as stability goes. I have offered input as to a solution as best as I can see. But I am not a programmer, just a end user who supports other frustrated users. I've said make the product more stable and less susceptible to crashing. What kind of input as to a solution can I offer here in that case? Now as far as features go with autodesk I have said for years why doesn't autocad do this or that. Other 3rd party developers such as Terry or Owen have made money making products for autocad that fill the voids. Then again I do see some solutions eventually do make it in autocad, but at what cost and how long does it take. Lets say for example the xref pathing issue. The was a solution in R12 for modifying xref paths. Then autodesk broke that solution and we had R13, R14, 2000, 2000i, 2002 then finally on 2004 we get the reference manager. So yes autodesk does listen, it only took 5 versions of autocad to come up with a solution. But then again I guess it didn't make headlines in the press release so it gets a low priority. I could go on and on about ideas on how to improve the product. Maybe this is not the correct place but its the only one I have seen in the past. Now that a friend of mine is on the ADN and has some contacts within autodesk I just feed him all my ideas and it gets attention. So yes I guess they do listen in a round about way. I guess I'm just impatient. "James Wedding" |>Dave, they do listen to users, and you know it. Jon Rizzo, myself, Karl |>Fuls, and many others make their livings with LD and Autocad software. I've |>seen all of these people personally in Manchester during validation, |>testing, and gunslinger sessions. |> |>Your (or at least some other Dave Lewis',) history of ranting without any |>real input as to a solution has just pushed you off the list of invitees. |>Jon and I have both had very strong rants in these groups (go look it up,) |>but we also have offered solutions, so we continue to be involved. Is that |>the best way it should have been handled? I don't know, but to accuse the |>team in Manchester of not talking to customers is disingenuous at best, and |>a flat lie at worst. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous

that's understandable. I guess you have to write a new program instead of fixing the old one first. "Jon Rizzo" |>Dave, they are listening. Unfortunately, writing a new program from the |>ground up is a time consuming endeavor. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 26 of 26
Anonymous

You really think the old one is worth fixing? I think that much better things are possible by starting from scratch, rather than retrofiting new features into 15 year old code. -- Jon Rizzo Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:2foc40pm5iep0uhdj84m7b5fo5k3sdgu4b@4ax.com... > that's understandable. I guess you have to write a new program instead of > fixing the old one first. > > "Jon Rizzo" > |>Dave, they are listening. Unfortunately, writing a new program from the > |>ground up is a time consuming endeavor. > > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report