Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAYERS FOUND in "Drawing1" (or when opening Civil 3D 2014)

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mcloughlin
639 Views, 10 Replies

LAYERS FOUND in "Drawing1" (or when opening Civil 3D 2014)

When I open my Civil 3D 2014 to do some visual brainstorming, I find the default "Drawing1" already populated by several dozen layers that neither I nor anyone else in my particular enterprise is likely to use. Before invoking one of my own templates if I so choose, I would like the default drawing to which Civil 3D opens to contain the fewest layers conceivable, perhaps 0 and Defpoints in the best of all possible worlds, in order that I don't have to spend time clearing out all those useless (to me) preloaded ones. Is this possible? I realize that others may have asked this, but I couldn't seem to word my search sufficiently precisely to get a useful response. Thanks for the help.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KirkNoonan
in reply to: mcloughlin

I've been holding on to one from the old days when everything wasn't pre-bloated right out of the box.

Message 3 of 11
Jay_B

@mcloughlin wrote:
I find the default "Drawing1" already populated by several dozen layers that neither I nor anyone else in my particular enterprise is likely to use. Before invoking one of my own templates if I so choose, I would like the default drawing to which Civil 3D opens to contain the fewest layers conceivable, perhaps 0 and Defpoints in the best of all possible worlds, in order that I don't have to spend time clearing out all those useless (to me) preloaded ones. Is this possible? I realize that others may have asked this, but I couldn't seem to word my search sufficiently precisely to get a useful response. Thanks for the help.

Search the Help for QNEW. The QNEW variable controls the dwt loaded at startup and when creating a new dwg by choosing "New" from the Ribbon.

A common practice is to set the QNEW to use your organizations dwt so when New dwg's are created the proper dwt (or one that's used the most) loads automatically without the need for browsing. This can also help maintain consistency of Cad Standards especially for new users that are unfamiliar with dwg setup.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 11
mcloughlin
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you, Jay B. My next question, then: using the Layer Properties Manager, I find that I cannot delete the several dozen layers that appear when I open Civil 3D even though none of them contains any objects, there are no xrefs, and the active layer is set to 0. Is there a quick way in which I can create a drawing containing only the 0 and Defpoints layer that I can set as the opening template, without having to delete all of these default and useless (to me) layers one by one, using the Express LAYDEL commend for each? Thanks again.
Message 5 of 11
Jay_B

The reason those Layers can't be deleted is they are considered "in use" by Civil 3D because they are being used within a style or styles etc.

If you really wan't a blank vanilla dwg to load at startup (which IMO might not be a very good idea), then simply set the QNEW to the Acad.dwt which is provided with Civil 3D and can be found here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Autodesk\C3D 2014\enu\Template\Acad.dwt

It only contains Layer zero and doesn't have any styles etc. setup, just a very basic dwg which wouldn't be a good starting point for creating a Civil 3d drawing in it's current state.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: Jay_B

I'd also recommend "Run as AutoCAD".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 11
mcloughlin
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks to all who responded.  I adapted by creating a template that contained only the layers I wanted to see, then going to Options>Files and causing this template to be my default upon opening. 

Message 8 of 11
doni49

What would you say is more common:  needing a blank vanilla file for "visual brainstorming" as you call it or needing a file that is based on cad standards (including all the layers and styles?

I'm guessing the latter.  So you could save your blank template in your templates folder and when you want to do this visual brainstorming, click File>New>Blank.dwg.  This would prevent you from accidentally using this blank template for a real project.

EDIT:  Forgot to say the purpose of this would be to allow you to reset qnew back to the standards based template.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 9 of 11
mcloughlin
in reply to: doni49

To Doni49, I'd say that I definitely need a layer-unspecified blank far more frequently than any sixty-layer template chosen by others.  As land surveyors, we rarely use engineering layer terminology.  The surveying template that we've created serves us very well in surveys, and when we're discussing other matters with clients, we often sketch and plan from scratch, at which times we much prefer to build layers from scratch as well.  But we don't want to see someone else's sixty layers every time we open up, hence my original query. 

Many thanks!

Message 10 of 11
dbroad

Even though you have gotten a solution, you should think about setting up the profiles you want to use and then launching autocad with that profile active.  The profile contains file and menu settings that enable you to select the default template and menu files.  The AutoCAD profile is usually included in Civil-3D but you can go farther to customize it to your tastes.  Then set up a desktop icon or start menu item to launch autocad with that profile.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 11 of 11
Pointdump

McL,

Here's another option from Daniel Lench:
http://www.daniellench.com/2009/02/my-biggest-civil-3d-template-secret/

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report