Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAYER FILTERS IN LAYER MANAGER NOT WORKING

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mermerCAD
4908 Views, 12 Replies

LAYER FILTERS IN LAYER MANAGER NOT WORKING

Hi-

I have two people who have the same problem.  The filters in the layer manager don't work.  In the Layer Manager, they will select an XREF to only see those layers, and nothing happens.  I am sure there is some easy solution to this problem, but it eludes me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2013

Windows 7 64 bit

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: mermerCAD

How many layers are in the drawings having issues?

Is the MAXSORT sys. var. value set greater than the total # of drawing layers?

If not try increasing MAXSORT and see if that helps as Layer Filters won't function properly if they ALL can't be sorted.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 13
mermerCAD
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks for the response.

MAXSORT is set to 20000 which is much larger than the number of layers in the drawing.

I just changed it to a couple of other numbers, and it didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks though!

Meredith

Message 4 of 13
Jay_B

Hmm, In Layer Manager click settings (wrench upper right) & try checking "Apply layer filter to toolbar".

Having this unchecked (which makes no logical sense)  can also make them hiccup.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 13
mermerCAD

That worked!  I don't know why, but it did!

Thanks so much!

Meredith

Message 6 of 13
blessard_TMG

I have this same problem except when I hit the settings 'wrench' nothing happens. AutoCAD will act like it's not responding (screen is frozen) until I hit the escape key, then it goes to the base state.

Any thoughts? Is there another way to get to Layer Manager Settings?

-Brian

Message 7 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: blessard_TMG

Weird, the only way I can seem to get the wrench to not work is if I also have the Layer States Manager open. If I close that it works again.

Another means of accessing the Layer Settings is to enter CLASSICLAYER and try using the Settings button on lower left of the Classic dialog.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 13
blessard_TMG

I Tried that (infact I'm currently using the classic dialog because it's the only way I can filter anything) and the same thing happens when you hit the settings button; semi-crash until you hit escape.

I have ACAD 2014 on Windows 7 64-bit

-Brian

Message 9 of 13
diegoal

Hello,

I'm having the same problem here with layer filter freezing my screen...

Do you managed to solve it without use CLASSICLAYER ?

thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 13
diegoal
in reply to: diegoal

Yes!!!!

/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Layer-filters-properties-dialog-box-does-not-show/m-p/4597647#M3650...

ALT + SPACEBAR, then M, then arrow keys left or right.  If it is truly off screen, it will come floating back.

Hey Autodesk, please... 🙂

Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate
Message 11 of 13
kwdsku
in reply to: diegoal

I just installed 2014, and  experienced the same situation with the layer filters. I brought a drawing from 2012 into 2014, and when I tried to click on a layer filter in the layer pallette, there was no filter applied. I've found that in order for the filter to be applied, the "apply layer filter to toolbar' setting must be on in the settings. This was not necessary before, as I always had this setting turned off because I did not like the filter being appled to the layer drop-down toolbar. CLASSICLAYER brings up a layer states manager, and the filters still work just in this manager window without affecting the toolbars/drop-downs.. However, it is an active command, and the window must be closed to continue working.

If there is a system variable that will allow the layer filter to work only in the layer states manager, and not apply it to the toolbars, I would like to know what it is. Otherwise, AutoCad programmers, please return to old world ways. It wasn't broke, you didn't need to fix it.

FREE THE DEFPOINTS!

Message 12 of 13
ghlad

I tried the posted solution, and it did NOT work on my Civil 3D 2014 on Windows 8.1 Pro, even though I have MaxSort set larger than the number of layers and "Apply layer filter to layer toolbar" is checked On.  Filter only works in CLASSICLAYER.

Hey Autodesk, we're more than ten years into Civil 3D and you still can't work out little bugs like this.  It's time to stop adding new features/versions and fix the ones you have!

Greg

Civil 3D 2020
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.20 GHz
64-bit OS 16 GB RAM

"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?" Ursula K. Le Guin, brainyquote.com
Message 13 of 13
travis.rabalais
in reply to: ghlad

I have been having the same issues with not able to place layers in their filters.

So here's what works for me:

Right Click Your Group Filter

Select "Select Layers", then "Add"

You will then get your pickbox, Select the Objects from your Drawing that are On the Layers that you wish to add to that Group Filter.

Then hit Enter

You will be selecting the Line, Circles, Blocks, etc... that represent the Layers that you want in that Group Filter.

AUTOCAD Electrical 2022

AUTOCAD Arch 2022

Travis Rabalais

230kV Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report