AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 11 of 14 (98 Views)

Re: Jagged, ugly contours, can the vertices be reduced?

10-16-2013 11:40 AM in reply to: jamesbarnett

Why are the contours from the two different products not intersecting at the same place on the breakline below. Does the Carlson model include this as breakline data?

It would be relevant in your exercise to compare the Carlson triangulation. 

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Valued Contributor
jamesbarnett
Message 12 of 14 (88 Views)

10-16-2013 12:31 PM in reply to: fcernst

The Carlson Tin isn't the same as the Civil Tin I should have got a copy of the tin also not just a few contours, but I didn't. I was adding supplemental points to try and get straighter contours. I usually start with no supplemental points and add breaklines in a few at a time in case I need to make changes. The contours only slightly straighten without the supplemental points, sometimes they straighten up with more though.  

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 SP4
Windows 7 (64)
Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 13 of 14 (78 Views)

10-16-2013 12:52 PM in reply to: jamesbarnett

Adding more points and triangles typically won't make contours straighter, it will make them have more bumps as a new vertex is added to the contour at every triangle edge.

I would suggest looking at the two TIN files and figure out what is different there.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 14 of 14 (75 Views)

10-16-2013 12:57 PM in reply to: jamesbarnett

Who ever drew the "straight" Carlson contours ignored the breakline in the area I circled, and has now created a Bust in the grading.

This breakline may be a Top or Toe of  some type of pad for instance. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs