Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue deleting triangle lines in a surface

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mwhosey
5141 Views, 10 Replies

Issue deleting triangle lines in a surface

I'm trying to modify a surface I created using drill hole data of a cavern.  When I select the delete lines command for surface editing a message pops up telling me that I must have the triangles displayed in the surface style dialog.  But I do have the triangles displayed, and it still gives me the same message.  Has anyone encountered this before and know of a solution. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: mwhosey

Is it a data shortcut surface or is it natively in the dwg file? Can you post the file??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 11
jmayo-EE

This message should really say 'Triangles need to be displayed in plan view'. If you are displaying triangle in model/3d only try turning them on in plan.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
BrianHailey

My recommendation (and this is not an answer to your question) is avoid using these type of edits on your surface. Instead, draw a polyline touching the triangles you want to delete and then add that as a boundary and uncheck "Non destructive breakline" (I suppose that makes it destructive?). This will give you much more control on your surface then deleting triangles.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 11
mwhosey

neil,

the surface is not a data shortcut, made it from points inserted from point file.

john,

the only place I know to display the triangles from is the surface style dialog, under the display tab, turning on the triangle light bulb.  not sure if this turns them on in plan, seems like if they are displayed in model (where I'm working) then it should work.  don't know how to go about displaying them in plan.

brian,

I think yours is the best answer, but I don't think a poly line will be sufficient.  Let me try to explain, the cavern is in the shape of an elongated egg (file attached for visual aid), and I want the surface to be the shell of the egg.  but C3D is making the triangles of the surface extend across and through the egg's center instead of only around the outside (shell).  It seems in order for you solution to work I would have to make a secondary 3d egg shape boundary inside the cavern to block the triangles from shooting across the center.  I don't know if that is possible but will try it and see.

Message 6 of 11
mwhosey

Well, turns out you can not make a 3d object a surface boundary.

Message 7 of 11
jmayo-EE

I'm opening your file now. You need to turn the triangles on in plan. Note there are 3-4 display modes for C3D object styles. See the attached. Hit the dropdown arrow and select which mode (plan, model, profile or section) you want to edit. Right now your triangles are turned off in plan.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Also note that you will still be able to select lines to delete in a 3d view. Triangles just need to be displayed in plan.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
neilyj666

You won't tbe able to model a cavern i.e. floor, sides and roof in one surface as the triangulation algorithm does not allow this. As a workaround, you may have to construct several surfaces (Floor, left side, right side and roof) but they will always be seperate.

The AutoCAD solid modelling tools may be more appropriate to this type of task

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I agree Neil. Either multiple parts (I would try a top and bottom) or AutoCAD Solids.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
mwhosey

Ok I see.  Can't believe I didn't do that, have seen and used that drop down before for selecting between plan, model, etc. 

But I also see your points about not being able to create a surface of a 3d shape (when I started this project was afraid that would be the case).  I agree creating a 3d solid is the better way to go for this situation.  Will give that a shot.

Thanks to all of you for helping.  Looking forward to more discussions in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report