Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isolate Civil 3D Entity Layers

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mrbaze
2087 Views, 13 Replies

Isolate Civil 3D Entity Layers

Is there any way to layer isolate, let's say, an alignment...(wait for it)...easily? It seems that most civil 3d objects are made up of several entities on different layers. AutoCAD should recognize this and isolate all applicable layers. It does not make sense to layer isolate an alignment and then have the screen go completely blank. It's been what, 6 or 7 years and they still haven't fixed this. If only Autodesk had some actual competition.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jeff_M
in reply to: mrbaze

Sincpac-C3D has had the LAYISO command for, oh, 6 or so years Smiley Happy Although it does not have an unisolate counterpart. This command turns off all other layers, so a LAYON brings them back. If you normally turn off layers, this may pose a minor problem for you.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 14
fcernst

...Is there any way to layer isolate, let's say, an alignment...(wait for it)...easily? ..

Make an Alignment Style like this:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 14
mrbaze
in reply to: fcernst

You're both right, I just don't see why they can't make a function that does it automatically.

Thanks for your replies!

Message 5 of 14
fcernst

I don't agree with you on that. The way they have it as Style dependent gives the User more control on what the User can isolate by layers.

If you want to quickly Isolate the alignment, then why not just right-click and Isolate the Object?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 14
michael.robertson

I totally agree with you, styles are the way to go. Only have to change to a "NoDisplay" style to hide and object, not turn on/off a bunch a layers.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 7 of 14
mrbaze

Agree to disagree. To me, it doesn't make sense to have a function that is suppose to isolate objects from other objects that doesn't work straight out of the box. Call me a simplest. And to your point, you could still have all of the functionality that you wanted.

These forums are too full of 'expert elite' cad users, most people just want simplicity in the product. Like for instance, why do I have to change the text size of a pipe network label in 3 or 4 different areas? If I really wanted different text sizes for the incoming and outgoing pipes and the dragged states, that should be more steps. There should be one place to change every component text size.

Message 8 of 14
mrbaze
in reply to: michael.robertson

But the goal is to isolate an object, not turn it off

Message 9 of 14
troma

Fred, for that to work you have to also ensure that the object layer is set to C-ROAD. If the object is on a different layer, that layer will be isolated and C-ROAD will turn off, leaving the alignment invisible, just as the OP complained.
I'm beginning to be convinced that setting the layer settings all to layer 0 (zero) in the style is the best way to go for most things, including isolate or turn off/freeze the layer.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: troma

I'm a big personal fan of using both style control (for initial work) and layer control (for all those overrides needed when the project does fit the proverbial mold). Layer zero is set on all my styles and all object layers go to zero with a prefix. Layer tools work on C3D objects just like any AutoCAD object.

I have never been a fan of the NCS templates that ship. I think they slow experienced users and make learning more difficult for new users. New users need months just to fully get the layer scheme which should be self evident upon first sight if not work as expected...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

As to the OP's original  question, fewer layers, filters, styles, etc will just speed things up.

KeepItSimpleSam

Sam is just nicer for the KISS principle. Apologies to anyone named Sam. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
mrbaze
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Again, thanks to everyone for their quick replies. And I didn't mean to disparage the expert elite, they do keep this forum running. 

Cheers

Message 13 of 14
mathewkol

Mrbaze, just checking here, but did you try Fred's suggestion of using "object isolate" instead of layer isolate? Once I discovered this command, especially with C3D objects, I'm happy not to use layer isolate again.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 14 of 14
rendarin

Personally most of my C3D objects are also on Layer 0 and I just change the style to No Show as required.

However to provide further input, (I believe this was mentioned already) that you can set all the entities to Layer 0 and the C3D block to (for example) ALIGNMENT1. This way if you turn the layer ALIGNMENT1 on or off, all entities within that C3D block will behave similarly to the block, as if it was on the same layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report