Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there some way to turn off contours above a certain elevation?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
sbrasher
7996 Views, 15 Replies

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Citadel2012
in reply to: sbrasher

You could extract specific countours and use them as surface boundaries (working this would vary greatly on the contour geometry).

You could also extract a contour at the cut-off elevation and use it as a surface mask. It will not be dynamic, however.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 16
Joe-Bouza

You can create a style that displays contours at different colors. therefore you could display the unwanted elvations a color that does not plot

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
Joe-Bouza

To be more specific: under surface propertires>> analysis>> contours; choose 2 intervals  and set the elevations of the unwanted and wanted. pick a no plot color (255 in our shop) for the major an minors, and plot colors for the other major minors. Important! edit the surface style >>contour tab>> contour intervals>> say "True" to use color scheme.

totaly dynamic

contour_showing_by_elevation.png

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
jkcarper

If it needs to be dynamic, limit the elevation in the surface properties (Definition>Build>Exclude Elevations greater than).

Message 7 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jkcarper

I'd be carefule with that approach.

That will alter the triangulation and the results may not be the exact surface.

contour_showing_by_elevation2.png

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

You're right --- there is a difference in limiting the data to a certain range vs. limiting the _display_ of the data to a certain range.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for confirming that.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

To be more specific: under surface propertires>> analysis>> contours; choose 2 intervals  and set the elevations of the unwanted and wanted. pick a no plot color (255 in our shop) for the major an minors, and plot colors for the other major minors. Important! edit the surface style >>contour tab>> contour intervals>> say "True" to use color scheme.

totaly dynamic

I'll take Joe's suggestion a step further.  Create a linetype that places 1 single dot at a really high spacing.  Use that linetype for the contours that you don't want to see.  You shouldn't even see them on screen (unless acad forces it to display a continuous linetype).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 11 of 16
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

totaly dynamic

Joe,

Maybe you can share some info as to how you did that?  I attempted to use it but apply the linetype suggestion I made earlier.  I can't even get it to change contour colors.

I created two contour ranges:  one below and one above 570.  Then I made the second one magenta and the first green/cyan.  But no matter what, they remain RED. 

SurfaceExcludeAboveElevation.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 12 of 16
doni49
in reply to: doni49

P.S. I don't see the setting you mentioned -- maybe that's why?

SurfaceExcludeAboveElevation2.png

EDIT:  After posting that, I got to wondering if there might be some other place to find that setting.  I found it.

SurfaceExcludeAboveElevation3.png

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: doni49

pardon my mistake, Don. The setting is under contour ranges >> color scheme = true

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
doni49

oh.  Thanks.  Having found the setting, I applied the linetype suggestion.

It does reduce the visibility of the contours (on screen) and Joe's suggestion will make the contours not plot at all.

Magenta & Dotted is below 570 and Cyan/Green & continuous is above 570.

SurfaceExcludeAboveElevation4.png

SurfaceExcludeAboveElevation5.png

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 16
sbrasher

Thanks for the creative solution! Worked like a charm 🙂

Message 16 of 16
Joe-Bouza

HTH

Please select "accept solution" so other readers may be aware of your solution

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report