Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an automated way to convert ellipses into circles?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ginopalomo
3254 Views, 8 Replies

Is there an automated way to convert ellipses into circles?

I have a large amount of "ellipses" in a Civil 3D 2013 drawing that were created as "circles" in Cyclone 8.03 (the laser scanning software from Leica-Geosystems). I need to work with circles so I can label the diameter of each in my drawing. Is there a way to automatically convert these ellipses, that have the same exact minor and major axis, into circles? Other wise I will have to reapeat the work in Civil 3D using the same point cloud! 😞

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: ginopalomo

I tried this one, but no luck.

With _MAPEXPORT you could convert (via shape format) ellipses to circular polylines, then extract their centers as Object Data, finally create a script drawing true circles.

I think it's feasible in one hour of hard work, sir.

Message 3 of 9
BrianHailey

Do the radii vary? If not, you could use the data extraction command to harvest the x,y,z of the center of the ellipses and then import that as points, display the points as circles, and then explode.

If the radii vary, I can't think of a good way to convert them. Why do you need them as circles? Perhaps there's a way to get the same results leaving them as ellipses.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 9
ginopalomo

Yes, each circle on the ground has a different diameter. The "circles" produced in the laser scanner software match these diameters. Therefore, in my drawing, I should show the differences graphically. Is an urban archeological site. I'll keep looking for a solution.

Message 5 of 9
jmayo-EE

I don't think you will get circles automatically OOTB and I would probably consider using an aligned dimension object snapped to the center of the ellipses.

Here is another way to get plines fairly easily. Save the ellipses down to an R12 dxf file, delete them from the working file, insert them from the dxf file, convert the 3dplines to 2dplines...Nothing automatic

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
rkmcswain

@ginopalomo wrote:

I have a large amount of "ellipses" ......Is there a way to automatically convert these ellipses, that have the same exact minor and major axis, into circles?

Toolpac can do it in two steps (I just tried it)

The first is convert ellipse to polyline, and the second one is convert polyline to circle.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 9
ginopalomo
in reply to: rkmcswain

This might work! Did you try it with 3D polylines?

Message 8 of 9
antoniovinci

ginopalomo wrote:

This might work!

Maybe it might work, but do you really wanna waste 245 $ for that..?
Find 1 free hour, and try my free technique above, sir...

Message 9 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: antoniovinci

antoniovinci wrote:

Maybe it might work, but do you really wanna waste 245 $ for that..?
Find 1 free hour, and try my free technique above, sir...

Waste $245? Really?

ToolPac includes 700+ MORE functions besides these two.

As soon as it saves you 2 hours of billable work, it's paid for itself.

Nothing wrong with an alternative way of doing something, but perhaps the OP would benefit from the other tools also. Not affiliated, just a user.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report