Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to automatically create a Breakline from Exisitng Surfaces?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
nmessina
1553 Views, 6 Replies

Is there a way to automatically create a Breakline from Exisitng Surfaces?

Our company, was contracted to create a DTM of a residential neighborhood using our Lieca HDS C10 Laser Scanner.  Utilizing the Leica software I was provided LandXML file that contained a 2ft by 2ft Mesh surface along with breaklines for the edge of roadway, driveways and sidewalks, which was imported into Civil 3D 2012.   

Our client now wishes for us to provide them with a breakline for the crown of the roadway.  My first thoughts on calculating such breakline was to set the Contours at an interval of 0.05' to identify the crown of the road, then drawn the break line along the crown based on contours. 

Is there a way to automatically create a Breakline from Exisitng Surfaces? 

Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JonRusk
in reply to: nmessina

You could draw a polyline. Then create a feature line from object (on home tab). Check 'assign elevations' then on the next pop-up select your surface and make sure 'insert intermediate grade points' is checked.

Civil 3D 2013 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Dell T3500 - Xeon 2.67 - 24gb - Quadro 600
Message 3 of 7
_Hathaway

If you client wants a breakline at the crown simply create a polyline through the appropriate centerline points and then create feature line from objects as the reply above indicates.

If you don't have actual cl crown shots (points) you're creating an inaccurate breakline in my opinion.

Message 4 of 7
nmessina
in reply to: JonRusk

@JonRusk wrote:

You could draw a polyline. Then create a feature line from object (on home tab). Check 'assign elevations' then on the next pop-up select your surface and make sure 'insert intermediate grade points' is checked.

So far, I have created a polyline at the approximate breakline crown based on the contours.  Then from there I added verticies every 20 foot along the polyline.  I then created cross sections every 20 foot along the alignment. From there I am able to project and calculate and the crown location and elevation, see attached.  My plan was to adjust the crown location by adjusting the alignment vertices based on the offest distance to the apparent crown, then adjust the elevation of the profile based on the calculated elevation.
Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 5 of 7
david.zavislan

Use the Catchment Area command to generate 3D Polyline boundaries.  The boundaries should delineate the crowns of the road.  Edit and trim the 3D polylines to isolate the crown breaklines.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 6 of 7
AllenJessup

While you're doing well figuring a way to create the breakline in Civil 3D. Wouldn't it be better to create the breakline in the Scanner software and then bring it in to C3D. I don't have any experience with scanners but you were able to create edge of road breaklines there. So hopefully you could do it with the crown.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: _Hathaway

@_Hathaway wrote:

If you client wants a breakline at the crown simply create a polyline through the appropriate centerline points and then create feature line from objects as the reply above indicates.

If you don't have actual cl crown shots (points) you're creating an inaccurate breakline in my opinion.

I'm thinking if he wanted it maybe he should have paid for it. I think that goes hand and hand with the accuracy issue you bring up, Mike

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report